Chapter Four

Chapter 4

"I was born in Africa?" Athena was completely dumbfounded. "I was born in Africa!!" She kept repeating, it was all surreal. She could not bring herself to believe it. All of this time, she thought she had been born in Greece herself. "But--but how? Why!?"

Metis smiled tenderly and came to embrace her daughter, "Your father brought me here to give birth while the war raged back in Olympus..."

Athena looked up to Zeus, "it was that bad?"

"How could I let your mother birth you when all of Olympus was being attacked? It took all of the Olympians to finally put Thanos away from the realm."

"So are you really his first wife then?" Athena looked to Metis for an answer. She heard Metis gulp, and saw her chew the inside of her lip. The emotional aspect of their love was there, Zeus dared not to look down, and instead answered for Metis who's heartbeat was now audible to all immortals near.

"She was darling, I made her my first wife."

"Then why Hera?" Athena snapped. She didn't mean to snap, and knew now that she was straying away from the topic. She asked because she still felt an invisible string that bound her parents together. Their love was just buried deep within their hearts. You don't love Hera the way you love my mother... Athena kept that thought to her self. When she saw Zeus' eyes widen and Metis put her head down she decided to let it go, for now, "I'm sorry, that was completely uncalled for...but um Thanos who's this guy that everyone is afraid of?"

"We do not fear him, just his obsession with destroying the universe." Metis responded. "The war only lasted for a few days then he was gone."

"What exactly is the point of a war that last only days?"

"He saw that Olympus had absolutely nothing to offer him in his conquest, we were powerful, just like Asgard and left to destroy other galaxies..." Zeus said.

"So he preys only on the weak?"

"Exactly." Metis said.

"Then why was I sent away?"

"For safety, your mother and I thought it best you stayed away from the war, we didn't want you to grow up in such place. I had to defend Olympus as its King and your mother also did her duty as my wife, at the time, we didn't trust no one to take care of you. That is why your mother and I decided to send you to Earth, the Fates had yet to give you your title, and you were the only child sent away during the war, so I called upon your uncles to give you a gift for your departure."

"Why Earth?"

"Mortals worshipped us then, we thought you would be safe among them."

"But if that was before common era on Earth, I arrived at my dad's house in the 90's, thousands of years later, why is that?"

"Thanos has that ability, we believe that after we sent you, he left Earth and Olympus, making time speed by, but for us it didn't, but once you arrived he was long gone, the ripple of his teleportation caused the time change."

"But how can a person be that powerful?"

"He just is darling, but he wouldn't dare come to Olympus again, all of gods from then have become adults and each of us know how to seal Olympus from our enemies."

"I see..." Athena took in the land around her. Her birthplace was in front of a lake. Lake Tritonis.

"As soon as you were born we had to go back to Olympus, the Fates had to be present for every birth, especially one of a goddess. The sky kingdom was safe at the time and your father called for Poseidon and Hades to come and present you with a gift. Before the Fates declared your title, the gifts had to be presented first." Metis explained.