Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Athena had spent two months in the underworld, learning to control her abilities. Water, Earth, and Air were mastered through perfection according to Hekate. Hekate knew that if Metis could see the accomplishments that Athena had achieved, she her self would also agree. The only element left to perfect was Fire. Throughout learning about the elements, Hekate told Athena many stories of the underworld. For example, how  many people on Earth feared Hades, but the one who they should really fear is Persephone. Persephone was known as the 'destroyer'. She ruled with an iron fist with Hades when it came to judging the wicked souls that were sent to Tartarus.

"I believe it," Athena smiled as Hekate and her walked by the courtyard of the palace.

"You and the queen will be inseparable," Hekate smiled.

Athena offered another smile. For many weeks nows she had a question gnawing in her mind. She wanted to ask Hekate, but always changed her mind in the last minute. Hekate had a limited ability to see into the minds of others, and Athena wondered whether or not her question was appropriate.

"Athena?"

Athena shook her head and looked at Hekate, "I'm sorry what was that?"

Hekate laughed softly, "what are you thinking child?"

"About fire, I really want to perfect it so I can go back to Earth, my dad, I miss him."

"I see, you surely do love him, the guardians chose well."

"You know he always wondered why him?" Athena followed Hekate into the palace garden, "why did the guardians choose him to be my father, I was dropped off at his doorstep, he was barely an adult."

"The guardians knew that he would take care of you, even after you lost your mortal mother, he took care of you in his drunken days."

Athena could feel the tears building in her eyes, "he never let me see him drunk as a child, I always was taken care of by Pepper or a nanny, after mom died, it was different he didn't know how to take care of me that he would distance himself. Growing up I understood him, and would help him with his various projects."

"I understand that he has an ego, from what I'm told, but he wanted to be the father that he never had, and in my eyes he accomplished to raise you."

"That--that means a lot to me, thank you Hekate."

Hekate took Athena's hands in hers, "you will soon be reunited with him, and then you'll miss us," she chuckled lightly making Athena's solemn look disappear.

"But Artemis said that you all go to Earth, undercover no?"

"We do, but it's something that we do in rare occasions, your father is very strict when it comes to any of us leaving Olympus," Hekate guided Athena to now the shores of mystical River Styx.

"But why?"

Hekate smiled at Athena's curiosity, "safety regulations, all of us as Olympians must protect the dimension, we never know what enemy may cross us someday."

"That's ridiculous," Athena said incredulously, "you're Gods!"

"Yes, but last time something bad happened the Fates banished us to our very own dimension away from Earth, we may be Gods but our destructive ways made us who we are today, reserved in our very own dimension not looking for any trouble."

"But if someone were to put the Earth or the whole universe in danger, would join the fight?"

"Of course, any threat to mankind is not tolerated," she said, "but I reckon that's not what you were thinking of just fire."