Chapter 10; Bleak Winter

A/N: Long time no update, and here I a again writing for the first time on my laptop in what seems forever! Thank you all for your patience and your support x

-----

It started with the looking, the energy to actually pull your seemingly lead form from the cold floor and to search about you- look for clues on what Jacob's and Jack's historical ties were.

It was more than just slightly upsetting to root through Jacob's things, you felt rather already like you were looking through the belongings of a dead man- although something told you that Jack wouldn't want to kill Jacob instantly... the man clearly held a deeper grudge with the master assassin; and your lover.

Sighing, your (eye colour) eyes filled with glassy and eye filling tears as you passed his old leather coat on the stand, the one he used to wear when you were both you. Filled with a guttural sadness at the sight of it, and the memories it evoked, you pulled it towards you and from the wooden stand, crying deeply as you drew in the scent of him that still lingered in the material.

Your mind flickered back to that day on which he proposed to you, when the pair of you had been through the centre of London- it had been such a beautiful time, a time they had always held a strong and fond spot in your memories and heart alike. You remember the posy seller, and the way you had given one to Jacob.

I'll treasure it forever

He had said to you, and you could almost see him in front of you then, with the most beautiful look in his hazel eyes.

Heart clenching, you dared to let your fingers creep into the inside pocket, gasping slightly when you turned the sheer material of the pocket inside out, and there, wilted but more or less preserved, was the posy from that day.

More tears flowed from your eyes, all you wanted was Jacob to tell you everything was going to be okay, but how were you to know? For all you were aware, Jack could've killed Jacob... and that was the worst you could assume. If Jacob was gone, you would, in all effectiveness, die with him.

Bleak winter sunlight streamed steadily through the apartment as you sifted through drawers and cupboards, masses of papers and scripts it would take forever to cast your eyes over in detail- that's when you were alerted to the sound of the door, and assuming the worst, you had thought Jack had come back to kill you.

Scampering under the desk like a frightened child, you cast your eyes over the pair of black boots that walked cautiously into the flat.

"Dear God, Jacob... what's happened?" the voice uttered, and you instantly recognised it from a distant memory.... Evie.

Unsettled but no longer frightened, your form slipped from under the desk and back up to stand, Evie turning quickly to face you with her gloved hand resting on the hilt of her Kukuri.

"Who-?" She snapped, before she took in your details, and it was like the clock in her mind had set back time.

"(Name)... What are you doing here?" She asked, before her eyes searched the flat which was rather in a mess after Jack and Jacob had been throwing each other about during their fight.

"Where's my brother?" She asked, her aged features filled with nothing but concern for Jacob; and a pang ran through you... Once again, you had to revisit the events in your mind.

----

Evie was stood by the window, her almost pale blue eyes scanning the colourless sky, her breath pluming out on the cold air that circulated around the Jacob's apartment.

"He threw Jacob against the cabinet there, and the rest was history to me." You closed, after retelling the events to Evie again, the hurt filling the octaves of your voice.