Chapter 13; Run Rabbit Run

A/N: I'm back into really enjoying writing this fic ^.^ I'm thinking of starting another cute Jacob fic once I've finished with this one but idk what my life is rn

---

Those fifteen minutes or so in total silence with yourself had given you the space to think; if you couldn't locate your daughter at that precise moment- you wanted to help Evie.

By this time the late afternoon winter sun was dipping precariously low the periphery of the skyline, the night sky looming in apprehension of darkness.

Evie Frye arrived back at the apartment minutes later with a frustrated sigh, slamming her pistol down on the table.

"Jack has killed another three prostitutes... He's leaving messages for me all over the place."

"Messages?" You dared to ask, one brow cocked slightly to Evie's words. The elder twin nodded slowly as she leaned against the wall.

"Jack isn't just killing these women for fun. The prostitutes in this area have been part of the assassin effort for quite some years- I believe Jacob put it into place." Evie explained, and your brows shot up slightly in surprise. For some reason, the jealous part of your mind told you that Jacob probably didn't use these women just for the assassin effort.

"See," Evie said, as she opened her palm to three bloodied rings, embossed with the assassin symbol. "Jack really had taken a turn to our order."

"So what is he then?" You dared to ask as you folded your arms, "a templar? Like Starrick was?"

Evie followed up your question with an empty stare for a moment, before her cool blue eyes drifted back to her white gloved palm.

"No..." She began with a quiet tone, "his own creed entirely."

Alarmingly quickly, she got up again with an urgency, breaking the softness of the pressing moment.

"Which is why I have to stop him; if he isn't brought to justice how many more souls will be lost to his violence?" She stated, her fingers wrapping around the pistol again as she lifted t from the table, and you stood up quickly.

"Evie wait-" you started, making her pause in the doorway, "today I went to see the files... They have nothing for my daughter in there..." You sighed with a heaviness on your heart at reciting it again.

"Which is why I want to focus on helping you stop Jack- but more importantly finding Jacob." You asked with a sincere tone that told her she needn't explain the risks because you'd already thought them through long and hard.

Eyes scanning Evie's with a pressing look, she avoided your (eye colour) gaze for a few seconds in thought, before she sighed deeply to you.

"Well... If you're certain you want to assist."

With that she wordlessly gestured you to join her, and your hand clasped quickly at your shawl from the back of the wooden dining chair before the pair of you once again went back to prowling the streets for clues.

---

I can smell their fear....

Jack stood tall, looming on top of a slanted slate roof, and with the eye of a hawk he watched his two prey from below.

Like death radiating from animal's corpse

He narrowed his dark eyes particularly to Evie; he knew she had been looking into his messages and yet it felt rather at the moment like he was treading around the trap so to speak- and he wanted to snare her and you; who appeared to be the new accomplice.