Element Academy

Sapphire sits up instantly; getting out of bed just as the sun rises over the beautiful Montana horizon. She gazes at the amazing forest view for a moment before turning to see the gorgeous view in the mirror.

A small room on the building's fourth floor; It is one of the highest privileges to be given to a student here. A room to herself, unlike most, and the rank of being junior level. The room is just big enough to fit a twin sized mattress snugly in the corner and the vanity across from it. The antique is her most treasured object within the room; it's old and worn down, but it has character, it has history.

Without delay, she picks up the wooden brush and straightens out some rough patches in her hair. Quickly and mechanically, she pulls it back into a tight bun. She loves straight hair. After all, it doesn't take a lot of work to make it look good.

The sliding paper door opens as her friend Joshua walks in, more like struts in, "Good to go?"

"Yeah," she answers confidently after a last minute look in the mirror.

"I see you washed your outfit," Sapphire notes, gesturing to his light blue uniform.

"And I see you haven't," he shoots back with a grin. "Don't you ever wash those things?"

Sapphire looks down at her red uniform. Nothing seems wrong with it, sure there are some soot stains here and there. Overall everything seems ok.

"What's the point? It'll just get dirty later anyway. We can't all be what you are."

Joshua shrugs, it's not like she's wrong. In an instant, though, he's smiling widely once again. "Well come on, today's the big day!"

Sapphire follows him out of the room, making sure to slide the door closed. Then they make their way through the maze of hallways that they know so well. Although they are still on the fourth floor, they can already hear the excited chatter of kids and teenagers hand-picked from every kind of place in the United States.

Finally, the pair make it to the first floor. They approach the large oak doors leading to the center of the place that they call home. Instead of going through, they stand in front of it and they wait. A few minutes pass by. Between the extremely loud chatter on the other side of the door and the waiting, Sapphire starts losing her cool.

"Where are they?" she growls between clenched teeth. Joshua just looks at her and smiles. Without meaning to, his shoulders start shaking with laughter.

"What's so funny?" Sapphire demands.

"Nothing," he manages to reply with a wide smile still on his face. However, a look over at Sapphire's face wipes it clean off.

"It's just...it's funny how fast you lose your temper." He explains. "You're kind of..."

"Hot-headed." Finishes another. A guy in dark blue comes up behind them with another right on his heels. The second male's hardened complexion is almost highlighted by the dark green of his uniform.

"Nick." Sapphire crosses her arms. "You're late."

"No. You're just early," he retorts, "and I told you my name is not Nick."

"But it's a lot easier for people to call you that than your real name."

Nick is about to say something when the crowd suddenly falls silent.

"Hello! And welcome everyone!" greets an overly enthusiastic female voice.

"Sarah." mutters Sapphire, she can't stand that overly perky blonde.