Chapter Two: The Reaping

As soon as Caretaker Grimes has the stage, he begins the speech. "Welcome to Hell. As I know you are all aware, today we celebrate another reaping, the introduction of this year's twenty-four tributes, and will in the few weeks after celebrate the 73rd Hunger Games. Today, two young individuals, one male and one female will be chosen to represent District Nine in this year's Hunger Games. They may be anyone within the predetermined eligible age group, they may even be sitting in this room. It could easily be any one of you. So it would be in your best interests to heed what I am about to say.

"If in the event that you are chosen, that is to say reaped, you are not to expect any good-bye or Godspeed  from us, since you have no one but yourselves. You will from the moment of your reaping be delivered to the custody of the Capitol. And we expect to see no tears, no crying, not the slightest sign of weakness from any of you. You may only be orphans now, but once you are a tribute, there is no going back. No one can save you. And the entire nation will have its eyes on you.

"If you can by some miracle pull off giving them a good show and make a lasting impression, then you will gain sponsors who will see that you can be taken seriously and will be willing to donate some much needed provisions to you when you're out there in the arena, and maybe you'll manage to stay alive.

But if you can't do this, as the screwdriver said to the screw, you're screwed. Happy Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favor." With that said, Caretaker Grimes walks off the stage and he and Miss Briant begin herding us out of the building.

As we are walking toward the District Square, Mace catches up with me. "Now that had to be the worst pre-Hunger Games joke I have ever heard the Grimester crack, he just broke a new record in cringe."

"You mean he even broke your record, Mace? That doesn't seem difficult to do." Nathan Thorpe, another longtime friend says from behind him. "Better be careful or he might still take a whipping to you."

But Mace says dismissively, "That old man hasn't scared me since I was eight years old. Now about these Games, I have a strategy of my own already formulated just in case I get reaped. These Capitol people will get no satisfaction in any cowardice from me. I'm telling you, that should I be a tribute, I'm not going down without a fight."

"Yes but it may not be necessary." Cassandra says. "How many times this year did you put your name in?" And Mace answers at once with "Fifty-three." To which Nathan added, "My name is in there seventy-six times bro."
And Mace says, "Better you than me, hey, I'm just joking!" While Cassandra shakes her head and says, "Don't ever joke about anything like this again, idiot. It's not something to laugh about."

"How many times did you put your name in Cass?" I suddenly ask her, not really wanting to know, but mostly to stop Mace from saying another word about the Games that would only upset Cassandra. Or worse still, bring trouble down on us if we're overheard, even though we are talking amongst ourselves very quietly. Cassandra says quietly, "eighty-five. And you?"

"Ninety-nine."

Mace lets out a low whistle. And Cassandra says, while patting me on one shoulder. "Hey, you've survived the orphan home and every cruelty imaginable all these years Alyssa, even when so many would have given up. We all did. Look, I'm not saying be an overconfident bonehead like Mace--"

"Hey!" Mace says.

"All I'm saying is that you're a survivor. And if it is you, then please, do your damn best to win. And show these Capitol people that they don't control every bit of your destiny." This was the last thing Cassandra whispered to me before I was suddenly jostled in another direction by the now thickly gathered crowds.

At some point one of my index fingers are pricked and my fingerprint in blood collected somewhere, and then, I stand among the crowds of hundreds and hundreds of children and teenagers. All gathered around an enormous stage. On which a woman done up in so many feathers and jewels and layers of makeup that it is obvious she is from the Capitol, takes the stage, and shakes hands with the Mayor of District Nine, Alistair McCain.

Then, she begins to speak in a strong Capitol accent, "Welcome ladies and gentlemen, to the Reaping of the 73rd Annual Hunger Games. Before we begin, we have a special presentation brought to you by the Government of Panem."

And the presentation begins. It is the same every year, the same old garbage about the Districts not being appreciative enough of what the Capitol gave them in the early days of Panem, that they all turned against the Capitol who fed them, loved them (which, once you come to realize what our current President is like, is even more garbage). These were called the Dark Days. War was waged on both sides, blood was shed, countless lives lost.

And then came the era of unprecedented peace, in which the Capitol swore that we would never know such unnecessary bloodshed again. Only to slap the Districts with the Hunger Games and every other cruelty they could have inflicted on us. And here we are, still being forced to sacrifice the children. Nothing has changed.

Once the presentation has ended, the Capitol woman says about the video, "So inspiring. So patriotic, it gives me goosebumps every time." Then she gets on with the business at hand. "Now then, the time has come to reap our tributes. The time has come to select one courageous young man and woman for the glorious honour of representing District Nine in the 73rd Hunger Games. As always, ladies first."

She walks over to the glass bowl on the right and extracts a small paper. She unfolds it and reads the name over the microphone for all to hear it.

"Alyssa Whitestone."