Chapter 18

Olly, please ..."

The tiny whisper seemed to echo around Oliver's head, bouncing around, trying to find a crack in the wall that had blocked his memories. Oliver pulled back, removing his knee from Barry's arm and then from his neck.

Backing away, he tried to calm his ragged breaths.

What had he done?

Why was he trying to kill his friend? What was wrong with him? This wasn't Oliver Queen. He may not be able to fully remember who he was, but he knew he didn't kill people. Not anymore.

Taking a few deep breaths to steady himself, he crouched down beside the victim of his attack.

"Barry, I'm sor-"

He stopped mid sentence.

The boy on the floor was limp and unmoving. Blood was smeared across his face and his shoulder stuck out at an odd angle. His brunette hair spiked out at random and his sweaty, pale face was still.

"Barry?"

Oliver was frozen to where he was, kneeling beside the speedster. Something was wrong, something was really, really wrong.

Barry wasn't breathing.

XXXX

Ronnie ran up to his wife, embracing her in a tight, heartfelt hug. Martin Stein, however, simply shook hands with Cisco as he was introduced to Felicity and Diggle.

After a few kisses were exchanged and a couple of fake throwing up gestures from Cisco, the group huddled together and Felicity began to explain.

"They've totally forgotten who they are." She said, grimacing at the memory of the two heroes, clueless and scared.

"Totally?" Inquired Stein.

Caitlin shook her head. "No, they can remember certain things here and there. Their names, the meta, a little of each other ..."

"Where are they?" Asked Ronnie, looking around as if expecting for them both to jump out of the shadows.

"They walked off somewhere," Diggle pointed to the hallway, "But I don't like it."

Felicity patted him on the arm before turning to Stein. "I suppose you have an idea of the favour we need."

Stein glanced at Ronnie - who had an arm around his wife's waist - then back to the woman in front of him. "A vague idea, yes. Where is he?"

Diggle backed away as Felicity meandered round to sit at the front of the desk, typing vigorously at the keyboard.

"Last seen ..." A click of the mouse. "Outskirts of the city, North East, heading towards Starling."

Stein nodded and placed a hand on Ronnie's shoulder.

"We'll be back before you know it." Chimed Ronnie, more to Caitlin than the rest of them.

"Just don't let him touch you." Cisco said quickly, as the two began to exit the cortex.

Both nodded and were almost round the corner when Caitlin yelled to her husband.

"And Ronnie?" He poked his head back around the wall, in a Cisco kind-of style.

"Be careful."

Ronnie smiled reassuringly at her, before running to catch up to Stein. Minutes past and everyone stared into space, thinking of possible outcomes to the situation.

Cisco was just about to ask if anyone wanted coffee when Martin barreled back into the room, out of breath and a look of fear etched onto his face.

"Quick!" He puffed, hands on his knees. The geniuses all froze, staring at the man. After taking a few more gulps of air, he continued. "It's Barry!"