Never Let me Go

"Oh, shit", Lauren groaned as she leaned her head back against the hard plastic of bulkhead. She was sitting on the lid of the tiny toilet and her knees were squashed up against the sink. However, that's not what made her groan. She found what Camila was trying to hide from her. It was one of those silly teen girl quizzes: Are They Your Soulmate?

She'd answered almost all of the questions, but it wasn't finished. Plus, she'd written little comments in the margin where a yes/no answer didn't completely explain her answer.

You can say anything to them.

"Yes." Lauren instantly remembered their conversation about lesbians.

You've known them for a long time.

"Yes." Lauren remembered sitting across the table from Camila in Kindergarten. God, she hadn't thought of that in years.

You were friends before you dated.

"Yes." She added some notes to the margins of this one. "We were best friends in fifth grade and went to the school Valentine's Day dance together. I guess that counts."

Every time you see them your heart drops.

"Yes." Camila had circled the 'yes' answer about ten times.

They always seem to say the right thing at the right time.

"Yes."

You have never been in a fight before.

"No." She noted, "Sometimes, it seems like that's all we do."

You started dating because of peer pressures.

"No." "We don't date. Maybe, that's because of peer pressure. I hope that's the reason."

You started dating against what everyone said.

"No." "See above."

You have been dating for a year.

"No." "See above again. This is getting stupid."

You have liked each other for a year.

"Yes." "Well, I've liked her since middle school, but I'm not sure about her."

Everyone wants them.

"Yes." "God, yes."

Their best quality is their looks but sometimes they can be a jerk.

Nothing is marked, but she wrote out to the side, "Her best quality is her heart, but sometimes she can be a jerk."

They're perfect.

They have flaws but I love them anyway.

The last two weren't answered and Lauren was just about to tally up the score when a loud boom came from just outside the plane and the aircraft shook with reverberations. Lauren jumped and ran out of the tiny room, the magazine abandoned on the floor.

"What's going on?", Camila screamed as she met her half-way.

"I-I don't know, but we should get buckled in."

"Oh, God! Lauren, we're going to die!", screamed a very frightened Camila, as the plane rattled and shook and sparks started shooting from the ceiling.

"Calm down, Camz. There's no need to panic", soothed Lauren.

"You idiot, we're about to crash into the middle of the Pacific ocean. THIS IS THE PERFECT TIME TO PANIC!"

"Yeah, you're right. I just meant we shouldn't waste our time panicking when it doesn't help anything."

At this point the flight engineer stumbled up to check on them. He handed them each a "Mae West" life vest and told them, "Put these on, kids, and make sure you are securely buckled. Whatever you do, stay buckled and don't get up. I'm going to check on the cargo."

"We're going to die, aren't we?", Camila asked him, her voice shaking.

"Well, kids, I don't mean to sound dire, but now might be a good time to start praying." He continued on toward the cargo hold in the rear of the craft.

"I guess this is it", Camila said as she resolutely took a deep breath.

"Yeah, I guess so. Listen, Camila. I need to tell you something", Lauren said hesitantly. "I-I just wanted you to know I've always thought you were cute... I mean I've always liked you. What I'm trying to say is..."

"What! You wait until now to tell me this. You couldn't have told me four or five months ago? You know, when you didn't already have a boyfriend and we weren't both ABOUT TO DIE! You really are an idiot! My God, I've had a crush on you since eighth grade and you wait until it's too late to do..."

Suddenly, Lauren reached over and grabbed the back of Camila's head with her right hand and pulled her toward her as she leaned over to capture her lips in a passionate kiss. Camila started to fight her at first, by instinct, but quickly relaxed into her gentle embrace and returned her affection with equal fervor.

Without warning, the plane pitched forward sharply as it started to lose altitude. The engines were screaming as if in pain. They both pulled back from the kiss, but held onto each other tightly.

"Don't let me go, Lauren", Camila had to shout over the roar of the plane, "I love you."

"I love you, too. And I'll never let you go", Lauren shouted back to her, as they hang onto each other for dear life.

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-: