Almost Caught

Camila awoke to many strange and varied sensations.

First was the feeling of bliss at waking back where she knew she belonged, safely in Lauren's arms.

Second was the feeling of warmth and she belatedly remembered when Lauren had pulled the quilt over them both so they were cocooned within like a sleeping bag.

Finally, third was the soreness that she was feeling in various parts of her body, a soreness that left her feeling closer to Lauren than she had ever felt to anyone ever before.

She stretched to try and work out some of that soreness. Unfortunately, the achiest parts were internal so stretching wouldn't help that. Suddenly, a hand was clapped over her mouth and she stared up wide-eyed at Lauren. She held a finger to her lips, indicating for her to be quiet and then pointed out in the direction of his house. That's when Camila heard her father's voice, Clara and Mike's becoming louder as they neared the tree house.

"Well, what makes you think she's here?", Clara asked. "She could be anywhere."

"Because we found my Aston Martin parked three houses from here, Clara. And besides, since Lauren is also missing, I'm just putting two and two together."

"You own an Aston Martin?" Mike was clearly in awe.

Alejandro stood up taller and a huge smile played on his lips. "Oh, yeeaah. She's a beaut too: a DB9 coupe, candy-apple red, 300 horse power, six liter, V-", he paused for dramatic effect and finally said slowly, dragging out the word, "twelve."

"V-12?", Mike gulped. "And it's just three houses away?"

"Yeah, want to take a look? I brought the spare keys."

Mike nodded excitedly and the two turned towards the side gate of the backyard when Sinu came walking through it. Mike looked crestfallen, Alejandro irritated.

Seeing their faces, the woman became instantly worried. "What's wrong? Do you have news?", Sinu asked in concern.

"Oh, no. It's nothing. We haven't found anything."

"She must have been here at some point." Thinking aloud, Sinu tried to work out the possible scenarios. "Maybe they left again ... together. How long has it been since you last saw Lauren?"

"Her friends left around eleven and she went to bed right after that", Clara told her. Then, feeling extremely awkward, standing in her backyard wearing a bathrobe and house slippers, she asked, "Would you like some coffee?" At least she'd be able to slip away and get dressed.

"Yes", Alejandro answered quickly.

When Sinu had discovered Camila missing an hour ago, they'd activated the LoJack theft system on the missing Aston Martin and quickly decided to pay the Jauregui's a visit when the car's location was determined to be so close to their house. Unfortunately, he hadn't had time for his standard morning cup of coffee. And Alejandro was a bear without his coffee.

"I'll have tea, if that's not a bother", Sinu announced as the four started to head into the house through the rear kitchen door.

"Oh, no bother at all. Is Lipton, okay? I only have the bagged kind."

Camila couldn't hear her response, but she was sure it was polite. Her mother was nothing if not polite. Notwithstanding, she was also completely sure that packaged leaves from a tea bag hadn't passed Sinu's lips in over twenty years. If it weren't for the current situation, she would love to see how her mother managed to appear to be enjoying the tea without actually tasting it. Maybe she'd be lucky and there would be a defenseless plant on the table which wouldn't mind having hot tea poured on it.