Rescue

The next week passed quickly as the two teenagers drew closer and closer...

"What are you doing?", Camila asked through her smile as she entered the clearing where their kitchen was located.

Lauren was sitting on a rock wearing only her cut-offs and tank turned crop top. She had Camila's compact mirror in one hand and her cuticle scissors in the other. With a determined look on her face, she was clipping slowly at her very, very bushy brows.

"What does it look like I'm doing", Lauren replied, literally tongue-in-cheek, as she was pressing her tongue against the inside of this right cheek to help her concentrate, keeping her eyebrows as still as possible and not furrowing them.

"Why don't you let me help?"

Lauren stopped clipping and raised her eyebrows at her thoughtfully. "Can I trust you?"

"Well... I don't do my eyebrows, but I couldn't possibly do any worse than your own butchery. You do know you've started to resemble a cave woman, right?"

"That's cold, Camila."

"That's the truth, Lauren. Here, give me those." She firmly removed the scissors from her hands and started to slowly cut and shape her eyebrows.

"You are just lucky", Lauren grumbled while she continued to work. "Wait a minute. With all that stuff in your shoulder bag, why didn't you bring tweezers? Or even a razor?"

"Don't need one. I don't tweeze. Or shave."

Lauren's immediate reaction was "Ewww!", but seeing as Camila was holding a very sharp pair of scissors only five inches from her eyes, she decided that discretion was the better part of stupidity. Therefore, she discretely peered down at her legs - hairless, perfect and hairless, actually. Then, she casually looked up at her face and stole a glance at her armpits on the way. Her arms were raised slightly while she trimmed her brows, so it wasn't difficult to sneak a peek. No hair there either.

"I see you, you know", she commented without pausing.

Lauren gave her her most innocent look - the one she'd practiced for an hour in front of the mirror when she was eleven years old and had broken her mom's antique vase.

"Come off it. You looked to see if my legs were hairy."

Lauren's face fell. It hadn't worked with her mom either. Therefore, understanding how important complete honesty had been for her mother, she added to Camila, "I checked your pits too." The words slipped out before she realized how crude they sounded and immediately before she yelled, "Oww!"

Camila jumped back quickly and snapped her arms down tightly to her sides. "Sorry. Are you okay?"

Lauren gingerly reached up and touched the spot she'd viciously gouged with the scissors. Then, examining her finger in amazement, reluctantly commented, "No blood. Hurts like a mother, though." She checked for blood one more time ... just to make sure.

Leaving her arms firmly planted at her sides, she announced, "I'm finished anyway. Here, take a look."

Camila handed her the mirror and Lauren studied her face, moving the small mirror around to see it from various angles. "Wow, Camz! This looks great - sort of like Cara Delevingne. Thanks."

Her smile could light up a room and Camila relaxed a little Until...

"So why don't you have to shave - is it some genetic thing or were you burned or something?"

Her face showed genuine concern and Camila's previous narcissism suddenly seemed foolish.

"No silly. It was a present from my parents for my 16th birthday - laser hair removal. I had both legs done, underarms", she listed, stressing the under, "and ...", she paused and he noticed a slight flush in her cheeks. In a lowered voice she finished, "... the bikini area."