Birthday Bash

•Lorena's POV•

I make my way downstairs after a vivid dream, to see if anyone has remembered that today was my birthday. Sure enough, there is a big feast on the table, fit for a king, and smack in the middle is a cake that says 'Happy Birthday Lorena!'. I feel touched.

"Happy Birthday!" Everyone exclaims, showing up out of nowhere. "You guys did all this for me?" I ask. "Oh, it's not over yet. You didn't think you were gonna get away with just breakfast, did you? Dig in!" Melanie told me. This was the best birthday I'd had in a long time.

After breakfast, everyone got dressed. I was wearing a pink ruffled blouse, with a frilly black skirt and black knee-highs. I finished it off with my black baseball cap.

Soon, everyone was ready to hit the town. We started off by heading to the park and enjoying the scenery. Birds chirping, little kids playing, breeze blowing. We were a chatty group, but I just soaked it all in. It was a great day.

Around noon, I got to choose where to go for lunch. "Seafood!" I announced. I loved seafood to death. So we walked into the restaurant and the waitress took our orders.

Melanie and Kyo shared a big, greasy salmon, Yuki had cod, Tohru had some shrimp, and Shigure ate oysters. I had two scallops and some talapia, my favorite. We all dug in.

"Greatest lunch ever! Thanks for the awesome day guys! I had a great time." I tell them. "Yet again, the day's not over. Come on, we must commence in the gift-giving." Melanie tells me. I sigh. They really don't have to do all this for me. We all walk home.

"Here! I hope you like it!" Tohru hands me her gift first. Inside are Tohru's specialty, two black silk bows. "Thanks so much Tohru!" I'll put them in right now!" I say, arranging them in my hair. Then Yuki presents his gift.

"Happy birthday, Miss Dare." He tells me. I open his to find a little glass horse. "Oh my, it's beautiful." I breathe, cradling it in my hands. "I love it! Thanks Yuki!" I say, hugging him. Shigure clears his throat.

"Hmm?" I turn to him and he's holding a big, heavy, moving, box. He gives it to me, and I open it to find a cute little things puppy. "Shigure! I can't believe this! Thank you so much!" I shriek, and pick up the puppy. "Well, you got to name her!" Shigure says. "Zweï!" I yelp (Zoey). "That's a great name, Sis!" Melanie tells me. This time, it's Kyo who clears his throat. He hands me a small, delicately wrapped box.

Uh-oh, what's this gonna be? I slowly open the box to find 300 yen. Wow Kyo, real thoughtful. I think. "Thanks, Kyo!" I say. The yen goes in my skirt pocket (I know, I know) and I turn to Melanie. She gives me an iPod. A green iPod.

"Melanie, this must've cost you a fortune!" I shriek. "Sis, it's your birthday. It's the least I could do. Along with this..." She says, and a large tray of deserts come out from the kitchen. "Tohru and I baked these. Now, don't say anything, just eat before someone else eats it all." She tells me, and I feel no reason to object.

This was the best birthday ever. No woods, no worms to eat, and best of all, no loneliness. I think, my first birthday snuggled in bed since mom tossed me out. Ahh. Nothing could ever go wrong.