Like Bad Glue On A 'Get Well' Card

"He's going to strike Dallon's place any day now." Gerard said, pacing nervously back and forth. We were standing in his office silently, going over what we knew.

Frank was watching Gerard, concerned. I didn't know what to do or say in response. I had given Patrick my number to call just in case Vic came by, or more was heard about him. It had been such a gap between his other attacks, everyone's nerves were rising.

"What if he doesn't?" I offered, "What if he's just trying to distract us from a bigger picture?"

Gerard shook his head. "No, I've dealt with the bulls. As destructive as they are, they're also patient." He explained, "Dallon was one of my first clients, Vic will want to make this one sting..."

"What about that dancer, the siren you called him?" Frank turned to me with an unsure expression. I nodded.

"That's the guy Vic would always get a dance from, but he disappeared."

"He's either dead or with the bulls..." Gerard thought out loud, "He couldn't of just disappeared..."

"What if he was at the shootout?" Frank suggested. Gerard turned to him questioningly and Frank sighed, "The... The one that Ray took the bullet in."

"Did you boys hit any targets?" Gerard asked, "You said you didn't, Frankie."

Frank looked down at the ground, suddenly very interested in his shoes. Gerard walked over to the shorter boy and grabbed his chin gently, tilting his head up.

"Frankie?" Gerard spoke much like a mother asking their child if they really brushed their teeth before bed.

There was a moment of silent eye contact between the two before Frank spoke. "I didn't... Ray did."

Gerard's eyes widened, looking at Frank I'm disbelief. "You said all our bullets missed."

"I thought they missed the kill shot." Frank admitted, "But I think Ray may of hit someone..."

"The night he got shot?" I asked, feeling just slightly out of the loop. Both Gerard and Frank nodded in a creepy unison.

"I didn't think about it." Frank continued, quietly. "My friend had just been shot, I thought he was gunna die, Gee..."

"Tell me about the shot, Frankie." Gerard told him, attempting to soothe him by fiddling with Frank's out of place hair.

"Jaime was on higher ground when he took the shot at Ray." Frank said. He was looking at Gerard, but he didn't seem to be in the same space within his mind. He was somewhere else as he explained. "Ray shot low, and there was a cry... And some cursing, plus more shots our way but... I had already dragged Ray to cover..."

His eyes began to fill with tears. Gerard held the smaller boy tightly, nuzzling his face in his neck. He shushed Frank softly, rubbing his back soothingly. "It could of been anyone, Frankie..."

"But what if that's what started this?" Frank asked, shakily. "What if we pushed the little feud into a territorial war?"

"Then it's their fault for starting it." Gerard continued to soothe Frank.

I looked away from the two, considering what Frank had said. If Ray had hit someone that night, maybe he had seen more than Frank. Any kind of information would help.

"Can I be dismissed?" I asked, looking back at Gerard and Frank. Frank was looking up into Gerard's eyes with a sad look while Gerard was dancing his fingers along Frank's jawline.

"Yes, Pete." Gerard replied without bothering to look away from Frank. I nodded, hurrying out of the room and shutting the door behind me. I had to hurry and see Ray.