Prologue

Liam lay in his and Zayn's bed, currently thinking over the meaning of life. Well, that's a tad bit dramatic, but Liam was thinking about his life. Actually, he was thinking about both Zayn and his lives.

Liam felt something missing. He wasn't quite sure what, but he knew he felt a bit more empty than he had. It was just like he was hollow. He needed something in his life but he just couldn't pinpoint what it was.

He just knew something was missing.

So, deciding to wallow in his own misery until Zayn got home from work, Liam went on his phone to check his social media.

He was scrolling through Facebook, and he kept seeing photos of his friends with their kids. And that's when it clicked.

He wanted a family.

This took Liam a bit by surprise. However, it immediately made sense, as he'd always wanted a family. Those thoughts were just coming back to life.

So he decided to talk to Zayn when he got home.

+

Zayn walked through the door to smell pasta. Liam was cooking dinner.

"I'm home," he called. "In here," Liam called back from the kitchen, though Zayn already knew.

He walked into the kitchen and wrapped his arms around Liam's torso. "Have a good day?" Zayn asked, breathing in Liam's familiar smell of cologne. "It was okay," Liam replied. Zayn twisted his face in concern. "What's up?" He asked. "Nothing," Liam replied. But he wasn't filling anyone, so Zayn pressed again. "No, somethings the matter. What is it?" He asked.

Liam paused for a moment.

"We'll talk about it later," he said. "Did I do something wrong?" Zayn asked. "No, of course not. But we'll talk about it later. Promise," Liam responded. Zayn just nodded, letting it go for the time being.

The two men ate their dinner peacefully. It was really no different than usual. But now that Liam had kids on his mind, he just couldn't shake that dinner would be a lot better with kids to feed and talk to and play around with.

Once dinner was over, Zayn gathered the dishes and took them to the sink to wash. Normally, this would be Liam's job, but Zayn decided Liam should shower and get into bed. So, while Zayn washed the dishes, Liam took a quick shower and hopped into bed.

Once Zayn was done doing the dishes, he took a quick shower himself, then hopped into bed right next to Liam.

He wrapped his arms around Liam's torso in a spooning position and rubbed his bare stomach. "So, what's been going on?" Zayn asked. Liam sighed.

"Zayn, I-I think I want kids," Liam said, turning to face Zayn. "You do?" Zayn asked. "Yes, Zayn. More than anything in the world," Liam replied. "Me too, Li. I've wanted kids for a while now," Zayn said. Liam broke into a huge grin. "Really?" He asked. "Yes. For the longest time," Zayn said. Liam's grin only got bigger. "Well, we'll have to do something about that," He said. "We can see what we can do tomorrow morning," Liam said. He was so happy!

He was getting everything he wanted.

"Okay, well let's get some sleep and we'll call in the morning," Zayn said. Liam smiled and cuddled close to Zayn.

And they both fell to sleep with dreams of what their children would be like.

+

So over the next nine months, actually nine months and thirteen days - Liam had been counting - the two men went to all kinds of meetings, signed tons of papers, and got legally verified by the state to adopt.

And even though it was tough, it was all worth it, because on July 29th they would be calling for an appointment at the adoption agency.

They were finally getting what they wanted. Soon, they would have children to call their own.

decided to just post now...what to y'all think ??? By the way, I've changed Niall's birthday in this fic to August 13th, so it's still the 13th, but it's in August instead of September for this.