Chapter 16

Spongebob couldn't believe it. Had Patrick really just told him the exact same thing he'd been thinking for months? He'd been so nervous all this time.. and Patrick felt for him the same way?

No. It had to be a trick. Some kind of joke.

"I love you, too, Patrick." Spongebob said, nudging him with his elbow. "You are, after all, my best buddy."

"No, Spongebob. Not like that. I really.. really love you. I, like.. love love you."

He had to be joking with him. This couldn't be serious. Spongebob had suffered with his feelings for so long and Patrick just told him that he loved him? This couldn't be!

Spongebob stood up and walked away, holding his net in one hand. He turned his back on Patrick and just walked away. He couldn't take this kind of thing, toying with his emotions like this.

"Spongebob.. where're you going..?" Patrick asked, sadness lacing his voice.

Spongebob didn't reply. He just kept walking.

"Spongebob.. wait, come back!" Patrick ran after him. "Spongebob, I really do love you! I'm sorry! I didn't think you'd take it this way.. but please, just.. don't walk out of my life like this!"

"I'm sorry, Patrick.. I'm sorry.." Spongebob shook his head. "But I'm taking the nearest bus out of Bikini Bottom.. I'm leaving.. and I'm not coming back."