Chapter 17

Spongebob had taken the nearest bus out of town and traveled far away. He'd taken Gary with him, a few pictures and his piano. He'd had plans to move for a little while, but now that he'd be trapped with his emotions like that in Bikini Bottom, he just had to leave. He had to leave the past behind him.

He'd moved to another city just past Tentacle Acres, a place called Sandal Strap or something. He was too deep in his thoughts about what--and who--he'd left behind in Bikini Bottom to really pay attention and notice.

Thanks to his paycheck from Mr. Krabs, he could afford a mansion in Sandal Strap. A nice, big house.. that he shared with no one except Gary.

All the company he really needed in life.

"There you go, Gary," Spongebob said as he straightened from feeding his snail. Gary excitedly started eating. Spongebob looked out the window. It was time for bed.

He sat on the edge of his new, comfortable bed and looked at an old photo album that he'd had for such a long time.

"Patrick and I.." He sniffed, his voice wavering. ".. we were.. supposed to be.. friends forever."

He dropped the album and buried his face in his luxurious pillow, crying softly.

He'd never see him again.