Chapter 23

Spongebob felt numb and shocked. Barnacle Bottom? That was the worst disease in the entire seven seas.. why did Patrick have to have it? Just.. why?

Before Spongebob knew it, he was running to the hospital. It was the only thing on his mind at that time. He had to see Patrick. He just had to. He had to apologize. For leaving. For breaking his heart. For not being there until the very end.

He raced into the hospital and approached the lady at the counter. "P - please! I need to see Pat - Patrick Star!"

"Patrick Star..? Oh.. he's in very bad condition.. we're not sure if--"

"Please!"

The lady sighed. "Fourth room on the left."

"Thank you!" Spongebob quickly made his way to said room.

He entered, and felt like his entire world had collapsed around him.

Patrick laid in a hospital bed, looking pale and grim. He coughed, his eyes shut. But Spongebob knew he was awake.

"P - Patrick..?" His voice was just barely above an audible whisper.

His friend's eyes opened. All the light had dimmed from them, like he'd been built up and broken down too many times in his fragile life. Not even the sight of Spongebob brightened them, not in the slightest.

"Sp.. Sponge.. bob..?"

"Yeah.. Yeah, Patrick, it's me.." Spongebob slowly approached and reached out one hand. Patrick feebly reached for him in return.

They reached out, and their fingertips touched.

"Spongebob.. you're.. you're back.."

"Y - yeah.. Yeah, I'm back.. for you, Patrick.."

Patrick smiled. A little bit of that light returned to his eyes.

"Spongebob.. I meant to tell you.. back in that field.. years ago.."

Spongebob leaned forward a little.

"I meant to tell you.. I had Barnacle Bottom.. but I wanted to tell you.. how I felt first.. and I didn't.. expect you to go away.."

Tears filled Spongebob's eyes. "I'm sorry, Patrick.. it was a selfish thing to do, and now.."

"Don't cry, Spongebob.. don't say anything.. just.." Patrick was beginning to decline, his voice becoming quieter and the heart monitor beeping slower. "Tell me.. you feel the same.."

Spongebob didn't say anything. He just leaned forward and gently kissed Patrick.

It was a wonderful feeling, one that brought tears running down the sponge's face.

When he pulled back, Patrick was smiling.

"Thank.. you.." He whispered.

The heart monitor flatlined.