Chapter 6: Paint of the Stars

It had been a couple of days after the incident in the town center. Eyes would stare at Noble each time he would pass them in the snow covered tiles of the sidewalk. A new scarf, almost the same color of his previous article of clothing, was wrapped around his neck to cover his mouth and nose. Hands in the white fur jacket he couldn't seem to let go of, Noble just walked around the town, staring at the lanterns being hung above him. 

The Luna Festival was held each year to celebrate the moon goddess and what she had given to her followers. The enormous country of Lunis on that little planet they called Alerea. It contains celebrations that consist of feasts, dancing, music, and overall interaction. Lanterns were a biggie in the tradition each year. It is meant to symbolize those we have lost, and mimic the ascent to Luna's sky. Souls become stars in her easel of moon dust if they were worthy of divine paradise. So, in more basic terms, they are honoring our dead friends, family, and the founders of Meridth. On the more positive side of the festival, there is many proposals of marriage as well as romantic feelings rising to the surface. Noble was never going to be one of those people, as sad as it is, but it was going to be alright. All he needed was his little sister and his friends . . . Right?

Noble had to collect himself quite a number of times on the walk as he would cough harshly, despite the herbs his much harsher mother had stacked inside the fabric. His chest hurt tremendously for the whole day, but he had grown prone to ignore the aching throb. It was normal to see him ache every so once and awhile. He was weak to sickness, and even the intensity of the coughing was alarming him. 

Then, he thought back to why he was on his little soul-searching walk. 

"You cannot just go running away from your  responsibilities," The ring of his mother pierced his ears as she and Sam walked inside the little home, "One of the elders told me what happened, and I have to say I'm rather disappointed in you."

Noble stayed silent, in hope that she would give him a break. Then again, she didn't know that he had met his partner for life, his animal soul counterpart. His silver eyes stared into what seemed like nothingness.

"Not only that, but you had the audacity to kiss the thief as well?" His mother slammed her bag of supplies on the floor next to the kitchen. The redness of her anger was still settling on her pale face, "I should restrict those two from coming here for the next couple weeks."

"Big brother?" Little arms wrapped around the teenager's neck, and Noble snapped out of his emotionless gaze. The little body of his little sister rested on his lap while Sam herself stared at her older brother with worry, "Are you okay? Did that scary man hurt you?"

"No . . . he didn't." Noble's face softened at his sister that was beyond her years. 

After that, he did nothing but hold his little sister until he couldn't take his mother's scolding any longer.  It was understandable to why she was yelling at him. Running off into the woods for a second time when told not to the first time? His mother was beyond pissed at the thought of almost losing her child in that cursed forest again. Sam wasn't fairing any better at the thought of her older brother magically disappearing one day either. Plus, the incident that had happened in front of the whole village only added to his family's grief. 

"Can't please 'em all, can you?" Noble whispered to himself, laughing dryly at his just as dry humor. His throat was like a desert though, and the dry winter air wasn't helping one bit. The boy grabbed both ends of the scarf laying on his chest, tugging it longer but tightening the space in between the fabric and his mouth.

Lanterns were beautiful at night, Noble declared inside his mind. He could just stare at them for hours on end until he was able to lift one up and force it to the night sky. It happened every year, but Noble never got tired at the sight. However, something was oddly painful about the image to Noble. His little sister would always tell Noble that he looked so longingly and painful while he watched every lantern swirl across his face.