Chapter 1

Challenge of the mates happened every year. It was something werewolves looked forward too. Only one pack didn't participate (and for good reasons). This year would be different for Aiyana.(pronounced i-yawn-uh)
"Ai! (Pronounced eye)" her mother called from the stairs "do you have your bag packed yet? It's almost time for breakfast."
"Coming!" She huffed, annoyed that her train of thought was broken. She stuffed an extra pair of panties in her bag and walked down to the overwhelming smell of food.
Sausage egg burritos and four brothers greeted her.
"Hey Ai" two called. One was far too asleep and the other just sombre and grumpy.
"Did you hear the great news?" Bradley asked.
"No, I didn't stay up while you guys talked til 3 am." She hinted a tease.
"Sorry, again, but Riley got promoted to the 4th warrior group." Connor finished for Bradley. Riley just rolled his eyes in arrogance.
"Riley," mom's voice busted through breakfast "we're gonna need more butter for your eye rolls if you keep up this rate." They all laughed in good humor except Riley.
"C'mon Ry Ry. Laugh a little." Conner pointedly said. He just glared. Riley wasn't one who minced words. So when he did speak, it was something worth listening to. Ai felt that the elephant in the room needed to be acknowledged.
"You never know," she sighed sadly, "This could be the last time were all together." Connor patted her head.
"Sure thing short stack." Ai elbowed him good in the abs. "How many times have I gotta remind you that you guys are freakishly tall. I'm pretty tall too. I'm like 5'7 and 3 quarters."
"How much do you wanna bet your mates gonna be a stellar 4'9?" Roland spoke up for the first time. I saw what he was doing. He was making it easier.
"A nickel. I bet you my lucky nickel he won't be that sort." In all the years she bet that nickel away she's never lost it. She always says 'I bet my lucky nickel' when she knows she'll win the bet. Some how that nickel stayed true to her. She wanted her mate to be like the dumb nickel she carried in her pocket. Never failing, always true and the very symbol of loyalty. Her pack might not have been the biggest, but the value of loyalty made them strong. Just a year ago Ai had received the most heart warming compliment from her Alpha Giddon.
"If only half my allies were as loyal as you..." She kept that sharpied very small on her nickel. She glanced at the time. The groupies would be running past here any minute. She had to run with them to the place where the challenge of the mates would take place.
"Ai, I'm gonna miss your sass." Bradley humbly admitted. She quirked a brow before giving in and hugging him. Bradley was only a year older than her but he seemed so much bigger and older. He was so tall and lanky. Connor and Roland smiled and nearly cracked her spine next in an overwelming hug. Riley just turned and walked outside; he wanted Ai to follow.
The birds chirped high in the branches. Golden sun showered the neat cut lawn. The small house seemed more and more alien as Ai confirmed that she would never come back. She would find her mate this year and he'd carry her away from the small town at the edge of the West to where ever he was. In steep mountains or murky musky bogs any where but the fair plains she knew since birth.
"Riley?"
"Yeah squirt?" He had his back to her and squatted down onto his haunches. His medium brown hair swayed in the breeze of the open field. He plucked a long tan grass blade and stuck it in his mouth. He did that when he was just in the mood for thinking.
Ai smiled at the familiar posture of his elbows on his knees. She stood next to his and mirrored his manners.
"What doth grievance against the mighty 4th warrior?" She laughed.
"You know." He deadpanned.
"I was trying to lighten the atmosphere but you are more set to dampen the mood than a wet diaper." She was rewarded with a ghost of a smile playing on his handsome face. His strong arms tensed.
"I feel like I'm sacrificing a lamb by letting you go." He finally stated.
"Oh, I'll be fine ya big baby." He shook his head and stood.
"I'm worried that's all. There are far too many cruel alphas out there that could be your mate. Wolves stronger than me or any of our brothers. You could get hurt and you'd relish in it..." He seemed pained by the thought, and he most likely was.
"I'll be okay, Ry Ry." He finally looked at her.
"Your a beautiful woman. I hope the moon goddess knows what the fuck she's doing." She didn't ever take compliments from her family seriously. They where so bias.
"Language. And we must have faith. The moon goddess has another half awaiting me, someone who was apart of me and was separated. I don't care how ugly that piece may turn out to be, but it will match mine." He looked away, conflicted. He debated internally for a full minute. Ai was familiar with the look on his face, she had seen it often. Riley was a talkative person but he also needed a moment sometimes to say what was really bothering him. He surprised her by changing the subject.
"There's a power rising in the East. I can almost smell it." Riley stared at he rising sun. Why couldn't she feel it? All she felt was the warmth of the sun. Riley seemed so in tune with the moon goddess.
"Promise me you'll be safe." He worried. She hugged his torso tightly. Ai knew Riley wouldn't hug her back at first.
"A hug is a two way thing you know..." He slowly wrapped his arms around her and whispered against her hair.
"So is a promise." She smiled at the game they used to play.
"I promise to be weary and safe." She smiled not letting him drop their embrace quite yet.
"I promise to do all I can to keep you and our pack safe."
"You'll make a loyal beta."
"You'll make a Beautiful Warrior." She pulled away from Riley. He almost always said 'loyal she-wolf', or on rare occasions 'loyal sister'.
"That's a new one."
"I hear footsteps." He pointed to the edge of the field where the trees broke through. She took a step away from him and flicked her lucky nickel and caught it in her teeth. Ai slung her bag over her shoulder and shifted into her tan and black wolf. She could hear the onslaught of paws tearing the earth now. She ran out to the crowd that suddenly raced through the field. She felt the boot of Connor kick her tail gently as she started to run. She darted out with a smile in her eyes glancing back. Shining in gold and warm yellow was her small house on the hill with three brothers and a mom howling out in excitement. Riley stood off to the side watching her. Suddenly she understood his double meaning. Ai just wanted to turn tail and run back now. Skip the whole ordeal and hug her family forever. Especially Riley. He chose his words so carefully. He was telling her that, at least in his eyes, she was already a loyal she-wolf and sister. Now she had to be a fighter. Literally or figuratively she had no clue. But it was still beautiful all the same.