Old Memories X Old Clothes X New Adventure

I walked out of his mansion and started to go towards my hovel to restock on supplies. As I watched the sunrise, I began to wonder Will it always be like this? Will I ever find happiness? No, happiness isn't the problem, I'm the problem. I'm not happy because I'm not able to, but because I shouldn't be... for the sake of everyone. My feet finally reached the muddy surroundings of my home, which is a small shack. My head hit the roof as I tried to squeeze inside. Indoors was small and there was barely enough room for me to sleep if I curled up in a ball. Besides the pile of leaves, where I slept, was my little station where I made the pills I use as my primary weapon, aside from my daggers.

     The only other clothing I had was a small black dress with a hoodie that had cat-like ears and two big buttons as the eyes. I received it for my fifth birthday which was seven years ago; now it fits me like a blouse. When I put on my dress, it landed to my waist, so I wore a pair of black shorts that I made because my first ones no longer fit me. My master didn't care if I ran naked to do my assignments as long as I did them. As for the shack, the only reason it exists is that I'm afraid of thunderstorms and I couldn't bear to stand on his porch anymore.

     I restocked on my poison, paralysis, and pp(poison/ paralysis) pills which I made from some plants that grow behind my hovel. I found them when I was hungry and learned the hard way which ones were poisonous and which ones caused paralysis. I'm immune to them now, so using them on me is ineffective. My dress was customized to have several pockets within my sleeves, hoodie, front pockets, and beneath my skirt.

     I exited my home and checked the paper which had an address and a phrase to say to them. As I looked up, my master was there with a smirk.

"Well, don't you look pretty in that dress or should I say blouse." he grimly smiled.

"I'm on my way out, now, "I said as I walked past him.

"Hold on, Mai" he called out and reached for my hoodie. "Just for a little encouragement, so you know how important this assignment is." he continued clutching on my hoodie. I stayed silent.

"If you succeed on this job and when I get my money. I will help you with that little problem you have," My eyes widened and a small smile formed, but the sound of a familiar beep made it vanish. "But if you fail to do so, you will come back and I will give the client your head and beating heart instead. Even if I get a buck for them."

     He did not scare me since he has threatened me before. "And if I don't come back at all?" I say with my back still faced to him.

     He spun me around and made me look into his sinister eyes. "Right, because that went so well last time." He smirked and continued, "what were their names?" He tapped his chin trying to remember.

     I clutched my fists, remembering what happened to them.

"Oh right, Lee and Nova" he taunted.

     The memories returned, and all I saw were their lifeless bodies in front of me. My hands shook as I remembered their blood on my hands revealing that I had killed them.

"Better hurry along," he taunted and kicked me on my back.

     Still dazed by the memory, I was launched forward and landed on the ground. My master laughed and walked towards his mansion. I stood up and wiped the mud off my dress, then walked to the nearest transportation. I searched around and asked anyone if they could take me to the location provided, but none of them knew where it was. This is hopeless. I thought to myself. 

"Psst." I turned to the sudden noise. "Psst hey kid."

     I turned around and saw a man in a dark cloak hiding between two buildings. He kept signaling me to come to him, so I walked towards the creep.

"What do you want?" I asked him in annoyance that he was trying to be sneaky and mysterious.

"Whoa, such big temper for a little girl." He said deeply.

     I was about to let out all my anger on this guy. Good thing we're in a dark alley.

"I can take you there, little girl." He announced.

     My face softened, and I lowered my hand reaching for a paralysis pill. This guy is crazy. " Oh, really?"

"That's right," he started walking out of the alley and down the sidewalk. I followed him, trailing behind. "The location you hold is for the hunter exam, correct?"

     I stayed silent not knowing whether to kill this guy on the spot or continue listening. "Why does it matter to you?"

"Because. Sweetheart," he responded as we took a right turn into a parking lot. "the hunter exam location is challenging to find. In other words, you give me the location, and I'll take you there."

I thought about it.
"What's the catch?" I asked as we stopped in front of a beat-up truck.

"No catch, just give me the code when we get there, so we can both enter," he answered opening the truck. "But, don't expect us to be allies. We got a deal?"

     He stretched his hand out and looked grimly at me waiting for my response. Just give me the code... It ran through my head. How did he know about the note's contents? I reached for his hand and shook it. "Deal" I hopped into the truck, then he unveiled his cloak revealing a very skinny man with big round glasses and matted hair.

"Alright then, let's go." He said abandoning his deep voice and sounded like an average man.

     And we were off, but I couldn't help to wonder that there was a strange odor in the car. Kind of like powder used for explosives. This guy is dumber than I expected.