The Past X The Present X No Future

He half-dragged Leorio towards the fork we passed several times back. I still laid on the floor clutching my fist at the idiot. Kurapika offered his hand, which I took to stand up. I finally had a good look at him; he had large blue eyes that cried for revenge. I wonder why. Even though his smile was small, it showed kindness and tenderness. I blushed when I realized how close he was, this feeling was familiar almost how Lee made me feel. The memories returned, and I began to envision Kurapika's dead body on the floor, the same way as Lee's corpse. I parted from Kurapika and released his hand, then looked at the ground. He's only going to end up dead, don't add any more victims to the list. 

"Hey Kurapika, I'm still worried about Leorio," Gon announced. "So, I'm going to see if he's Ok."

"I'll go too," Kurapika responded.

     They walked towards the direction Tompa and Leorio went until the darkness swallowed them. I was alone with Killua, with no one to get in my way. Should I do it now? Why not. I placed my hands in my pockets handling the round liquid filled pills between my fingers. If I can only set one of these in his system, he's as good as dead.

"Why did you do that?" He asked suddenly, which made me twitch.

"What do you mean?" I returned a question to the living target.

"Pretending to be exhausted just to follow that Leorio guy," he answered "I know you can probably continue running for another day or two. I could tell by our race."

     Was that a compliment? I was stunned by his response; it never occurred to me that he might've been paying attention to my actions. For once, I wondered what he thought of me. When I first saw him, my heart skipped a beat, but now, I just want to tear his out. Am I capable of doing that to him? Shoot! He's making me doubt myself, he's my target, and that's final. Maybe Muh should take over; she would be able to do the job without a doubt not even a moment of hesitation.

"I think we should go too," he said as he leaped onto his skateboard. "Are you coming?"

     He stared at me with those deep blue eyes, I've seen them as a deadly glare, but now it showed hope for me to tag along. Instead of answering him, I ran ahead, as I passed him I heard him scuff. Reaching the fork, Tompa was walking the opposite direction without Leorio. He had a nervous look. Killua scowled him and threatened to kill him which made Tompa even more nervous. That look gives me the chills, but in an attractive way. I admire his ability to threaten someone with only a stare since I can't make that same effect due to my youthful face. But he has a young appearance too.

     When we entered the other tunnel, the scent of the sweet sap became stronger, and I remembered the symptoms of this fluid. My realization made me worry about Leorio and the rest because smelling its scent causes harsh hallucination bringing back the horrible past to the present. My master would torture me by using this stuff and claimed that it was training me to outwit any pain, physical or emotional if I were to get captured. My harsh memories were my parents, and since I hadn't met Lee and Nova yet, they weren't part of it. But they will now.

     We continued to walk forward into the tunnel suddenly everything converted foggy, and I lost sight of Killua. I became dizzy, then all around me spun in circles until it stopped abruptly.

"Mai!" Two familiar voices called out to me. But they weren't from the people I recently encountered.

"Mai over here!" They called out again with excitement.

     I turned around and saw two silhouettes of people. I squinted my eyes until I recognized who they were... Lee and Nova. No doubt it was them, on the left was a guy a few inches taller than me and on the right was a short girl with ribbons. My body stiffened, and I noticed other shadows getting closer, forming a circle around me. The people in the ring became visible. They were horrible, like walking corpses. Some had foam on the corners of their mouths, others had stab wounds all over their body and torn clothes, while the rest were beheaded. Then it came to me; they are the people I've killed in the past. Lee and Nova stepped forward, revealing their appearances. I would've screamed if I weren't trying to hold back the tears. Nova had slashes all over her face and severe gashes on her upper abdomen, her clothes were torn up as well. Lee on the other hand only had one wound on his left temple with several scratches on his arms.

"Why did you kill us, Mai?" Lee and Nova asked in sync. "After all we did for you."

"It wasn't me; it was Muh!" I screamed, losing the battle against my tears. "I would never do such a thing to those I care about!"

"But you are Muh," Lee responded alone. "Stop trying to blame her because she IS you."

     I was choking on my tears then fell to my knees trying to wake myself from this illusion, but it's stronger this time. What frustrated me the most was that I didn't feel any guilt, instead, I felt confused because I do not regret killing all those people. In fact, there have been times where I enjoyed it. Also, there were events where I craved to see the red substance between my fingers and watching the life draining from their eyes. I looked around to see if I can find anyone to feel guilty for but, there was none not even...

"Mai, sweetie." A woman's voice echoed outside the circle.

     I yanked on my hoodie almost pulling out the hairs beneath it. The corpse in the circle parted to make a path, and two people walked down the aisle. I knew who they were before they arrived... my parents. My first victims before I became an assassin.

"Don't let Muh control you, Mai. After all, she is a part of you." My mother said, "Embrace her, don't push her away... You've become a wonderful assassin; someone capable of anything to finish the job."

     She said this with a sparkle in her eye as if she was proud of me. My mother then came over to me and carefully brushed my cheek until her hand reached my shirt collar. She then ripped it open, exposing a bomb attached to my chest counting down.

7...6...5...4...3...

"Absolutely anything." She grinned as the bomb went off.