Chapter 4

As we walked down the hallway, a few Pigmasks looked our way in surprise. Perhaps because the Commander was crying. I can definitely see why that'd be surprising, he's never shown emotions. We arrived outside his room. I wondered how we all the sudden were like friends. Maybe it was the fight together, or the whippings. Maybe even bringing me back here. I suppose a hug could change someone though. My train of thoughts ran through the possibilities of what brought us closer together. I enjoyed these times with the Commander but they were so sudden it seemed a bit off.
I opened the door for the Commander and followed him in, shutting it behind us. "I know you hate that helmet, you can take it off, no one will know." He said as we walked into the room that was far larger than a regular Pigmask's. Each rank had a different room. My own was quite nice since I was a Colonel.
With haste, I removed my helmet and set it on a counter. I let my pinned up hair down and sighed. "That helmet is the worst thing about this army" I scoffed and looked toward the freezer, "Do you need an ice pack?" The Commander flinched and nodded. Taking off my gloves, I retrieved one and asked him to get situated. The Commander sat on his bed and removed his jacket and shirt. I thought it was pretty odd that his shirt had a very similar design as the blonde boy's. Forgetting this, I slowly applied the ice to his back. At first he tensed up and hissed from the sudden icy cold package touching his tender and bare skin. I tried to pry my eyes away from his back, skin was peeling and there were scars all around. I could even see a bit of dried blood. "He does this often doesn't he?" I abruptly asked the question. Some minutes went by before the Commander nodded, "Whenever I fail or do something bad he whips me." A knot tied in my stomach. "It's okay," he continued. "you get used to it."
I raised my eyebrows and sighed "It's not good to be used to getting whipped Commander..."
Moments of silence rested heavily on the room before I opened my mouth to speak. "How come you never take off your mask?"
The Commander shrugged and simply said "Master Porky said I shouldn't take it off. I wouldn't be punished but he'd be disappointed I suppose... Do you want me to take it off?" I nodded quickly, "Yeah, I do."
After a pause, he turned around and looked at me. I gazed at him in sudden surprise, part of his chest was completely metal. Replaced. I can ask later. I told myself before looking up to see him removing his mask. He tossed it aside and I was greeted by a messy ginger haired boy. One of his eyes gleamed crimson and the other shimmered green like an emerald. "So you're the intimidating Commander? You seem too cute." The Commander looked at me as I smirked like he was thinking 'Did you just?' Stifling a giggle, I focused on his answer. "Well, if that's true, that's why I wear a mask." I nodded and we turned our heads to the sound of footsteps. They were quick and loud. "Get your helmet on!" The Commander whispered as he put on his mask, shirt, and jacket. I hurried over to my helmet and put it on, returning to stand next to the Commander near his bed, standing as naturally as I could. After a few seconds the door was pushed open. "Commander! We have f- oh, am I interrupting something?" The pigmask stood in the doorway examining our surprised states, a few pigmasks accompanying him snickered from behind. Becoming  flustered, I broke a sweat. Wouldn't this get me in trouble? I still wasn't positive if temporarily ignoring my duties would get me in trouble. Although I'm sure the Commander could make an excuse, technically I was helping him.
The Commander walked over and snapped at the group. "Don't you know how to knock? Now, what is it?" I could tell he wasn't angry, just trying his best to sound threatening. "Oh, I'm sorry Sir! We have located the next needle, it's underneath New Pork City."
Underneath?