Settling Dusk

"Long walks are my favourite," you mutter. Your hands are gently intertwined, as you slowly step towards the setting sun. You walk on top of a hill, with the woods to your back. In the distance, you can hear the creek gurgling and the crickets chirping.
   "I never thought I would ever have the capability to feel so close to someone other than Danny," he stared off into the distance. You sat down with him. He slipped his hand around your waist and tugged you close, bringing your heads close together.
"But it works. It works how I never imagined it would. You're like a best friend to me... and more, all in one. And at the same time, Danny and I haven't changed. You know, girls like you are rare. Down to earth, passionate, gorgeous... you know,"

You close your eyes and kiss his cheek.
"I adore you," you whisper. "With every piece of my fragmented soul."
Your fingers lightly raise to trace his face and his jaw. Your eyes meet, and you look deep inside eachother... you can see his very soul... he is honest. He loves you. Your father, who taught you to confuse love with hurt, anger, and fear... has left his mark. But Paul has healed that. You feel brand new when you look into his eyes. You feel like your old life had been washed away.

"Kiss me," your fingers fall down his neck.

He leans in.