Nerida Riddle, daughter of the Dark Lord - Chapter 5

My mother shook me awake.

"Nerida," She whispered, "Wake up. We have to get to Kings Cross on time." I sat up in bed, my eyes blinded by the light emitted by the end of her wand. She handed me a plain black dress, with a lined hood. I didn't have time to comb my hair.

"Go and say good-bye to your father." My mother began a last minute check around my room in case I had left anything behind. I crept into my parents' bedroom, where my father lay under the sheets, barely covered. He opened his eyes, sleepily, took my hand, and squeezed it. Then he rolled over a and went back to sleep.

My mother and I met the other children going to Hogwarts in the meeting room, where, one by one, we travelled to the station using Floo Powder. I was still barely awake as my mother settled me down on the train, reassuring me that everything would be fine. I blinked back tears, turning my glance downwards as the train pulled out of the station. I didn't want the others to see I was so u[pset at leaving my mother, who I had so quickly grown to love behind. I drifted in and out of sleep during the journey, until we arrived at the station, struggling to take everything in as the first-years travelled across the lake in small boats together. I tried to remember as many names as I could as the other first-years stepped up for sorting. I was near the end of the list.

"Riddle, Nerida." Shaking, I stepped up to the three-legged stool, and sat down. The hat was dropped over my head.

I couldn't see a thing, the hat was so big. I heard a little voice in my ear, as I thought the same words over and over again. Slytherin, please, put me in Slytherin.

Slytherin? I don't think so...

You don't understand, if you don't put me in Slytherin my father will-

But you aren't a true Slytherin, Nerida. I think you're quite the opposite.

Not Griffindor, not Gryffindor.

What about Ravenclaw?

No, please put me in Slytherin, it has to be Slytherin.

Well, I could put you in Slytherin, but you'll regret it later.

No I won't.

You will. Don't forget what I've told you.

And I heard the hat yell out "SLYTHERIN" to the whole hall. One of the tables burst into applause, and I went to sit with them. I didn't wipe the smile off my face all evening, so glad I had got my way. And when we got to our dormitory, I was so tired, I didn't even think about what the hat had said to me. I just went to sleep.