Chapter 3

Today, we're scheduled to learn how to play the Gayageum. It's been a month now, and I'm getting more and more acquainted with this place, after a few weeks of living here. Yoon Mirajane is the name I'm using now and I've changed my surname only. The Gisaeng women I befriended were amazed when they heard my first name because of its uniqueness.

After the Gayageum class, we went outside our room. As I walked on the corridor, heading outside the Gisaeng house, I notice some drunkards, walking and swaying at their feet. The Gisaeng women with them smiles and courteously helped the drunkards on their feet and escorts them back inside their respective rooms in the Gisaeng house.

I noted the tight smiles and fake laughter on their lips, and I know that those Gisaeng aren't really amused about their jobs because of the smelly and drunk men they have to take care of. Thank goodness I belonged to the Haengsu Gisaeng rank, the highest rank a Gisaeng can be and because of that, it is our job to entertain the royal family and high-ranking officers only. Of all the captured women I'm with that very first day, only three of us were chosen to be haengsu.

Those women before were called Samsu. They are forbidden to perform the songs and dances of Haengsu. They entertain even the lowest person in the society as long as there's money involved. Some of the men were book sellers, owners of gambling houses, or travelers.

I walked straight to the markets to buy different face powders and strings that I can use. By the time I'm walking back home, a gust of wind suddenly blew my way, stinging my eyes. Even though it causes my sight to blur, I kept on walking until someone bumped me. All the things I had bought fell from my arms, the face powders scatters on the ground. Anxiously, I grab the strings though it's too late for the powders since it is already mixed with the dirt. I am close to tears for I know soon another lecture from the old woman awaits my fate, when I hear him speaks.

"Are you well?"

I cannot hide the surprise on my face when I turned to face him. He's like an angel who fell from Heaven; he looks so handsome.

"I-I'm fine...but these things I've bought were..."

"You're a Gisaeng?"

"Huh? Oh-uhm...yes." I stammered.

"Ah. Are you one of those who'll entertain for the King's name day?"

"Ah-yes, why?"

"Nothing. Don't worry, I will replace all of those once we meet again."

"Huh? But when will that be?"

"Goodbye." He then walked away until he is no longer in sight.

I was left there, staring after him, in the middle of the market.

"Is he crazy? How can we meet again? He didn't even ask for my name? He is handsome yet he's also arrogant, just like the main guy characters on those Korean Dramas I like to watch, or maybe he's just another scammer who can't really pay for all of these, just playing with me? How frustrating!"

I gloomily went back to the Gisaeng house, my shoulders bearing some invisible weight, readying myself for the lecture. Before I enter the big gate of the Gisaeng house, a Gisaeng girl approached me. I recognize her as one of the girls who studies with me.

"Where are all those face powders you'd bought? The old woman looks for it." The girl asks.

"I lost it," I fearfully answered.

"Huh? Oh dear, you might get punished by the old woman."

"The wind's too great, I got blinded by the dusts then some man bumps me on my way back." I reasoned.

"So what happens now? We cannot help you for we don't have any silver with us."

"Alright, I'll go ahead and face whatever punishment I'll get. She can't have me killed anyway." I said with a forced laugh, trying to make myself brave.

I entered the room of Madam Hwang Chae Shik. She got mad at me just as what I'm expecting. As punishment, she made me kneel on a cloth full of salt.

I nearly cried because I stayed kneeling on it for 3 hours, my knees burning from the ache, but when I think about the reason of my current state, it turns my attention and anger at that foolish man. He seems to be from a noble family yet he can't even pay me back!

I'm surprised to see one of my fellow gisaeng as she informed, "Mirajane, you can get up now. The leader says that your punishment ends now and somebody is looking for you. Go to her room now."

I'm more than happy to do so. I quickly stand and left, walking with a limp. When I got to Madam Hwang's room, she's with a man but I cannot see his face since his back is on me.

"Ah, who's looking for me?"

The man turns and looked at me. I am shocked because he's that guy who bumps into me on the market.

He suddenly speaks. "I'm here to compensate for the wasted things you had bought." He raised his hand and showed me the different colors of face powders.

"He is also the scholar who is brought here to teach the proper way of playing the Gayageum." Madam Hwang adds.

"Oh, thank you. I'll get going then." I made a bow to show my respect and take my leave.

---------------

end of chapter 3

thanks for reading :)