Chapter 8

The next day I decided to go out from the gisaeng house and take a walk around, I already remember what path to take so I am certain of my way back.

As I'm walking, I get a glimpse of a group of people standing close to one another. Curious, I walked closer to see what they're all looking at. There are puppets manipulated by a number of men on the back of the stage. This is what puppet play looks like in this time, it is a famous stage play here.

I wanted to watch more but I don't want to spend my money since the money of a gisaeng must be spent for essential things only.

I continue wandering around. I see so many paupers, asking for alms and silver coins, that I wondered how my situation came to be compared to these child beggars, which isn't so bad because I have food and clothing, and a house to sleep in.

"Ahjussi (Sir or Mister), please lend me any amount of money. My siblings are in need of food, they could die of starvation. Please have mercy."

A little girl kneels and begs in front of a man that looks like one of the officers of the palace.

"Stay away from me! Keep your filthy hands off of my clothes, go!" The man rudely pats his shirt but I'm more surprised to see him kicking the girl, she fell down on the ground.

I cannot control my anger any longer. I run towards them and helped the girl to her feet.

"Are you alright?" I asked the little girl. I straightened myself to face the rude man. "You don't need to do that to this child! She's just a mere girl for you to hurt. What exactly has she done to you?"

"That peasant is blocking my way and touching my clothes with her filthy hands!"

"That is not good enough reason for you to hurt her. You have no heart at all!"

"Wait a second, who are you to say those words to me? And what do you think you're doing? Do you not know that I'm a palace official?"

"I know! And as you're a palace official, you are suppose to help those who are in need, those people like this child instead of laying your fists upon them. Do you want for the King to hear about this?"

"Hey, woman! Who do you think you are?" he half-shouts. "I can make the guards take you, you want that?"

"You have no right to do that!"

"Oh but I do. Guards! Seize this woman and take the child as well!" He commands to the guards who are currently in rotation with the place.

"Do you mind? Let go of me, we didn't do anything wrong!" I retorted, trying to escape from the hands of the palace guards.

A man suddenly speaks at our backs and when I turned around, I see scholar Hyun Min. The palace official walked closer to the scholar to try and confront him because of his involvement.

"And who are you?" the palace official asked.

"Let go of the lady and the child." Scholar Hyun Min said in a serious tone.

But the palace official did not back down. "Guards, seize this man as well and imprison him."

Just as the guards were closing in, the scholar brought his sword out, which took me by surprise. He fought the seven guards and managed to take them down by using not the sharp end of the sword but only with the handle so as not to kill anyone with it.