Chapter 7

Two days had passed, scholar Hyun Min did not visit again. Madam Hwang summoned me because she says she have something important to tell me.

"I need you to get ready for you are being requested to the palace."

"Pardon, Madam Hwang. Why?"

"The Crown Prince asks of you to perform in front of him."

"Is it really?" I asked, amazed.

"Yes." Madam Hwang raises a brow. "Do you and the Crown Prince know each other perchance?"

"Oh, no madam."

Madam Hwang hums a thought. "Perhaps the Crown Prince saw you during the King's name day when you performed with the others. You've done well, Mirajane. You ought to continue you're better odds." She approves.

"Yes, madam. Thank you."

I stood and left. When I got out of the Gisaeng house, there were palace guards surrounding the place.

One acknowledges me. "We're to escort you to the palace. You can ride in the carriage now, my lady, for we need to go."

This is surprising. I never imagine I could ride a carriage like this one that is needed to be carried by the palace guards. I feel like a royalty just being in it. We set off to the way for the palace.

When I got out, a man approached me. Two women trails him, both wore the servant's hanbok. I think the man is a Eunuch base on his green-colored hanbok. "Please follow me, lady Mirajane."

I nod and silently trail behind him.

After a while, we stopped walking and I noticed we're in a garden house. I immediately see the Crown Prince sitting in front of a large table. He looks my way and greets me.

"Thank you for coming here, lady Mirajane." He says, smiling.

It is then that I notice the person accompanying the Crown Prince from looking around. A gayegeum was placed there, yet I am more stunned to find the scholar Hyun Min sitting near where the Crown Prince is.

"Will you play for us?" asks the Crown Prince.

I hesitantly comply, "Uh, yes..."

And so I sit and started playing. As what expected, I made mistakes and I even broke a string of the gayageum. I don't even have a clue of how I broke it but maybe it is because of my extreme nervousness. I look at the scholar, with my eyes I plead for his help but my plan went down the drain the moment I see how he's holding back his laughter.

"Are you alright?" the Crown Prince asked with concern.

"Please forgive me, your majesty, but I am not that good in playing this instrument."

He guffaws. "I am aware for I had watched you making the same mistakes on the King's name day."

"Pardon, if that so then why summon me whereas there are other gisaeng who can play much better?"

"You captured my attention because of your faults. You had shown confidence to perform still in front of the King and you managed to stay calm and poised, even if you had created such errors. But my eyes aren't fooled."

"Forgive me, your majesty. I am to be punished." I humbly implied while kneeling down.

"You don't have to be worried for I have no plans to do such thing." He said, still laughing.

"Is it really?"

The Crown Prince acquiesced. 

"Thank you, your majesty."

"Eunuch Jeong! Could you please bring the gayageum I asked for?" He demands to the eunuch.

The Eunuch Jeong brings out the new gayageum and places it in front of me.

"Your majesty, I am afraid I'll damage it like the one before." I worriedly inquired.

"Do not fret. I can teach you to play. Didn't you know that I am skilled with the gayageum?"

"Are you really?"

"Yes." The Crown Prince turns to Hyun Min. "Scholar Hyun Min taught me before and in no time I am able to play beautifully." He grins and the scholar just nodded with a serious expression.

I am once again surprised by the Crown Prince's actions because he calmly sits beside me. "It will be my pleasure to guide you how to play the gayageum." He said to me with a broad smile.

I hesitate. "Your majesty, please, I can learn this with the guide of scholar Hyun Min since he's our teacher." I tried to catch the scholar's eyes but he is purposely ignoring me, he looks at the other direction.

I don't know why and what I am supposed to feel, but I am saddened because I have a feeling that he's angry at me.

"This is the proper way to sit and to hold the gayageum. You need to lay the gayageum's head on your lap and its feet must touch the ground. You need to use both hands to produce a beautiful sound.

"Yes, your majesty."

The Crown Prince taught me more about the instrument and how to pluck the strings elegantly

The Crown Prince taught me more about the instrument and how to pluck the strings elegantly. In truth, I can understand every word of the Crown Prince maybe because I don't feel awkward with him. He simply smiles at me when he pointed out some hints so I am more comfortable to learn.

"Am I doing the right thing, your majesty?"

"Yes indeed, Mirajane. You are learning, how splendid!"

It went on for hours until it is time to end today's lesson.

"Very well, Mirajane. I assert Eunuch Jeong to escort you back. We'll see again each other here in the palace."

"As you wish, your majesty. I am taking my leave. Thank you." The Eunuch Jeong came and accompanies me back to the gisaeng house.