Chapter 15 - School

Lily's p.o.v

The next day was Monday and I was apprehensive for school. I suppose it was a foolish thought, but I was wondering how Ryder would act around me. Would he ignore me? I'd consider him a jerk if he did, because then it was like he was putting his popularity before his girlfriend. My thoughts swirled around in my mind as I automatically went through the motions of getting ready. Shower, clothes, shoes, makeup. I chose some Bermuda shorts and a white tank top. I wore my Converse and put on a little mascara and lipgloss, then headed downstairs for breakfast. Mom had already left for work, so I grabbed a muffin from the basket, picked up my backpack, and walked outside, preparing to drive to school. I quickly slid a hair tie from my wrist and put my hair up in a messy bun, just as a car drove up, honking. Ryder was behind the wheel, grinning. "Hop in!" I opened the car door and slid in the passenger seat. I smiled kindly at him. "Thanks for taking me." "No problemo, Cupcake," he replied.

We rode in silence, each occupied by our own thoughts. The school doors looked huge and frightening from my viewpoint. I wasn't sure I could face the mob of students, whispering and staring and calling out rude remarks. As we walked in, Ryder slipped his hand into mine and firmly squeezed it. I smiled gratefully and squeezed back. Almost as soon as soon as we entered, people began to stare and whisper in hushed voices. I stiffened and Ryder felt it. I nearly fainted when he pressed me up against the lockers and gave me a quick, sound kiss. Everybody gaped. Ryder clapped his hands and said, "All right, people! Back to your duties. It is obvious we are dating, you can stop staring now." They immediately averted their gazes, but the whispers continued throughout first period. It was somewhat unnerving me. Ryder was popular enough to give orders and people would listen, but he was also the reason they were staring and whispering. Damn his reputation.

At one point, Claudia sidled over to Ryder and I. "Hey babe" she said to Ryder in a voice so sugary sweet I almost gagged. She ran her long, manicured fingernails up and down his cheek. He pushed her away and continued walking. She followed. "How about you and me go to my house tonight?" she asked while draping her arm around his back. I mentally rolled my eyes. Ryder removed her arm and kept walking, but she pulled him against the lockers and tried to kiss him. He shoved her away. She motioned to me to follow her. I knew what was to come. I'd played around with Claudia's boys before, and she never took too kindly to it. This time, though, I wasn't giving the boy up.

I followed her into the janitorial closet and waited. "You little dipshit, you better think twice before you mess with him," she hissed in my ear. "Excuse me, but he's not your property, and he's allowed to date whoever the hell he wants. So fuck off, bitch." I said. She took a swing at me, but I dodged it easily. The door to the closet swung open and there stood Ryder, in his glory. I punched Claudia in the stomach and exited the closet.

Later, when we were alone, Ryder said, "What you did in that closet? Pretty impressive." I blushed. "She was getting on my nerves." He rolled his eyes. "So what else is new?" "By the way, you're cute when you're jealous." I blushed furiously. "Shut up." I slapped his arm. He smirked. "You're also cute when you're embarrassed." I slugged him in the gut. He held up his hands in mock surrender. "Ok, ok!" I smiled smugly and we walked to history.

After school, we went to my house  and go to my room. It was the first time Ryder had been in my room, and he wanted to explore. "Explore". He told me to go fix us some dinner since my mother was out with some girlfriends. I knew better. If I left him alone for two seconds, he'd be rummaging through my bra drawer! I smiled haughtily and picked up my cell phone. " I'll order pizza." He rolled his eyes and flopped on my bed while I called Pizza Hut. By the time I was finished, he'd burrowed underneath my covers. He smiled evilly. "We could get in this bed soon..." He said with a smirk. I gasped and slapped him. "You perverted little boy!" He laughed.

I sat on his lap for a minute or two, chilling, until the pizza came and we went downstairs to eat. I gaped at him as he wolfed down four slices without stopping. "God, how much do you eat?" I asked incredulously. He grinned. I only had two pieces and I was already full. After dinner, we went to the living room and watched a good action movie, Knight and Day. I cuddled up with Ryder, snuggling into his side. He laid there, perfectly content. It wasn't long before sleep took me in it's peacful arms.

                                                                            ***

It was then that I had the dream. I hadn't had one in a long time. I used to have them every night, after Daddy died. But this time, it was worse.

                                                       **Beginning of Dream**

"Daddy?" my five year old voice said. "Yes sweetie?" He answered. I threw my arms around him and buried my face in his colar. "I'm going to miss you so much!" I sobbed. He stroked my hair. "It's all right, sweetie. I'm coming back. I promise. I'll bring you a gift, too." "Pinky promise?" I asked. He nodded and we hooked our pinkies together. I hugged him one more time and watched him walk out the door.

                                                             **End Of Dream**

I woke up sobbing, crying, shaking. Shivering and trembling. I remembered all too clearly. I checked my calendar and put my head in my hands. It was time. This was the day. The day Daddy died. The 2-year anniversary of his death. I was sure that was why I had had the dream. A recurrence. In a way, I was glad. I couldn't forget him. I was still crying, tears streaming down my face. I could hear his voice inside my head..."I'm going to work..." The endless ringing of my mother's phone after his death. The black flowers and the cards and the food and the awful funeral. All ever-present in my mind. By now, the sobs had reached an earsplitting level. 

They woke Ryder. When he saw I was crying, he quickly ran over to me and wrapped me in a hug. "Cupcake, what's wrong?" I pointed to the calendar wordlessly. He hugged me tighter and stroked my hair. "I'm sorry," he said. He knew it was the anniversary. He kissed my forehead and we sat there, him holding me. I didn't want to let go.