Chapter 2

We drove back to Forks, talking and catching up. Charlie truly seemed happy to have me here.

“ So, how’s Bella?” I asked him.

“Umm, good.” He said.

“Is something wrong?”

“No, she’s dating this guy, Edward.” He said a bit harshly.

“Oh, and you don’t like him. Is he that bad for her.” I meant it to come out like a question, even though it sounded like a statement.

“Why don’t you see for yourself?” He said as we pulled up to the house, where I could clearly see a Volvo parked in the driveway.

“Nice car.” I said.

“Its Edwards.” He said in between his teeth.

We got off the cruiser and Charlie went to get my bags from the trunk. I heard the front door open and out came Bella and a cute guy. Most likely Edward.

“Natalie!” She said and hugged me.

“Bella!” I replied.

“Natalie, this is Edward.” Bella said blushing.

“Nice to meet you.” I said and extended my hand. He firmly took it. Something about him reminded me of Emmett.

“Its good to finally meet Bella’s’ famous cousin.” He said with a crooked smile which almost dazzled me. I looked away.

“Famous?” I said.

“ It’s a small town.” Bella said. Edward wrapped his arm around Bella’s’ waist and they started to walk inside.

“So, how long have you guys been dating?” I asked to break the ice.

“Oh, well..” Bella started.

“Since she got here.” Charlie answered coldly and almost to a whisper, while he came inside the house.

He set my luggage down at the side of the stairs.

“I fixed you my room. I’ll be sleeping on the couch.” Charlie said trying to change the conversation.

“Oh, Uncle Charlie, its okay. I can sleep down here.” I felt embarrassed. Not only was I intruding by staying here, now I was also kicking my Uncle out of his room.

“No, no. None of that. No niece of mine is staying in the living room. You can go shopping with Bella if you want and go pick out some new sheets. I changed them but they don’t seem girly enough.” He said smiling and taking out his wallet. I stopped him there.

“Its okay Uncle Charlie. No need for that.” I said walking toward him and closing his wallet.

“ Are you sure?” He asked.

“Yes.” I smiled at him.

“Okay, well, Bella, Edward, could you two help Natalie get upstairs and get settled in? Maybe later on you two can take out and show her Forks.” He said.

“Sure.” Bella said and Edward picked up my suitcases and started walking up the stairs.

We came to the room which faced the back. All of Charlie’s things were still in here, I caught a sight of a picture of my mom next to the bed. I felt a little out of place. I sighed and sat on the bed.

“Is everything okay?” Bella said and came over to me.

I couldn’t speak, I wasn’t about to cry in front of her boyfriend. I just nodded.

“Why don’t you take a nice warm shower and we’ll wait for you downstairs. A trip to the town might help.” She said.

I knew she didn’t want to bring up my parents, she knew that would probably start the waterworks.

“Okay.” I said.

They both walked out but before I closed the door I heard Edward.

“She’s just like you.” He said.

What did he mean by that?

Bella and I were completely different. She had brown eyes and dark brown hair, thin body.

I had blue eyes and curly blond hair with golden high lights, even though right now I had it picked up. My body, I think was okay. I loved to exercise and I had always been in sports. I know I sound vain but I’m not. I like to keep my body hidden. I don’t like to show off. Maybe that was a trait I picked up from my Mom.

I got my duffel bag and clothes and went to shower. I turned up the hot water and let the bathroom steam. I took out my favorite shampoo which smelled like white lilies and my body soap which had the scent of orchids. I let the hot water burn my skin. It felt good.

I got out and I had decided to put on some jeans, my converse, and a sports jersey. I didn’t want to look to fancy. I wasn’t up to it. I let my hair down and blow dry it. It was naturally curly so I didn’t have to do much to it. I just put a bit of hairspray in it to keep it in place. I looked in the mirror. I looked pale. I decided to put on a bit of makeup so I wouldn’t look so pale.

I picked up my things and put them in the room. I got my cell phone and started walking downstairs. I could hear Edward talking.

“Okay, okay. Okay. Alright Alice. Okay. Alice.. Fine. We’ll be there shortly.”

“Is everything okay?” Bella asked as I reached the bottom stair.

“Emmett’s home and he brought gifts. He want us to go join him.”

Emmett? Could it be the same person? No, could it? Before my mind could process what was going on, I felt a strong arm around my waist.

“Runs in the family?” Edward said smirking.

“Thanks.. What? “ I responded blushing.

“Very funny Edward. He thinks you’re a klutz like me. I’ll have you know, Natalie actually has better coordination. She actually likes sports!” Bella said laughing.

“Really.” Edward said finally letting me go. He too smelled nice and his touch was also cool. Maybe all the people of Forks felt that way. I caught myself staring at him and looked down. He just smiled and walked toward Bella.

“Do you think its okay to take Natalie?” She asked him suddenly.

“Yes.” He answered.

“Where?” I asked.

“Oh, to Edwards house. His brother Emmett just came home from a short trip he took. And he brought everyone a gift. His sister, Alice, just called him.” Bella told me.

“ I don’t want to intrude.” I told her walking onto the step again. Even though I was kind of hoping it would be my Emmett. My Emmett? What the hell was that.

“You’re doing it again.” Edward said.

“What?” I said annoyed.

“You seem to go somewhere else and blank out.” He said smiling.

“Oh.” I said blushing.

“Common, lets go. I know Alice will just love your fashion sense. She’s already trying to get Bella to dress more like her.” Edward said with a crooked smile and Bella nudged his ribs which made him laugh lightly. He too had a beautiful smile.

“Only if you’re absolutely sure its going to be okay.” I told him.

“It is.” He said.

“Dad, were leaving now!” Bella called out to Charlie and we walked out.