Chapter 5

"I'm coming, I'm coming," he hears himself groan. That's... that's just weird. It sounds almost like a recording, but it's him. Only it's not him because he's him and he's in Zayn's body and— Shit, his head hurts.

"Zayn," Harry says, catching up to him, slightly breathless, "what are you doing?"

Liam ignores him, and the door finally opens. It's not exactly like looking in a mirror, he thinks as he looks at himself. It's a little different. It's freaky, is what it is. It's like one of those cardboard cut outs he's seen, only more realistic, for obvious reasons. And he can't help but reach out for himself, just to prove that this is really true, and then Liam watches as his own mouth opens and he lets out a slightly girly shout.

"What the fuck?" Not-Liam, but whoever's in Liam's body, shouts. "What— what the fuck?"

"Zayn?" Liam asks. "Please tell me you're you because I'm freaking out and—"

The door slams shut. Liam blinks in surprise, and Harry puts a gentle but firm hand on his arm. "Let's get you back to bed," he says. "I think you're sick, Zayn."

"I'm not crazy," Liam says. He knocks rapidly on the door again. "Zayn! Open the freaking door!"

He does. Liam's not used to seeing that particular look on his face. It's wary and confused and scared, his lips parted slightly, his breath held, eyes wide with his eyebrows drawn together. "Liam?" Liam's body says.

"Zayn?" Liam says back.

Liam's body — Zayn — nods slowly. Zayn looks down at himself, then at up at Liam. He reaches out a hand and pokes Liam's cheek. "Is this seriously happening?" he whispers. "Or am I dreaming?"

"This is really starting to freak me out," Harry says quietly. "Cut it out, seriously."

They ignore him. Liam reaches out and pushes at Zayn's — his?— chest, and watches himself stumble back just a bit. "Holy crap," Liam says. "Holy crap."

"Did you slip something into my fucking drink last night?" Zayn demands of Harry.

Harry looks between the two of them for a long moment. "I'm going to get Louis," he says. "This isn't funny."

Liam doesn't even try to stop him. Instead he pushes into his room, and Zayn shuts the door behind him. And then they turn towards each other and just stare for a long moment. Does his nose actually look that big, Liam wonders? Are his eyebrows really that bushy?

Liam watches his chest rise and fall rapidly, and red spreads into his cheeks. His forehead looks slick with sweat, and he realizes that Zayn's freaking out.

"Why am I you?" Zayn asks. "How is this even possible?"

Without any warning, Zayn reaches out and pulls at the waistband of Liam's briefs, peaking inside. Liam yelps and pushes him away, flushing, and Zayn frowns at him for it. It's weird, watching his face do things like that, because the look is definitely Zayn's but it's on Liam's face and— yeah, this whole thing is just fucked up.

"It's my dick," Zayn points out. "I was just checking."

Which is true, but still. Liam steps away from him, pacing the room as he runs his hands through his hair obsessively until the thick strands stop resisting, all the knots sorted out. Zayn goes and sits on the bed, just watching him with a pinched look on his face.

"This is freaky," Zayn says. His eyes widen. "Like that Lindsay Lohan movie, when her and her mom were fighting and then they..." Zayn trails off when Liam turns to him. "They switch bodies. Holy shit."

"That's insane," Liam says, logically. "That doesn't happen in real life. That's a movie."

"I'm watching myself pace around the room," Zayn points out. "That's pretty fucking insane."