6

-

"Hey, hey." I tapped Laurie's shoulder, her hair brushing into my eye while her head whipped around to meet mine.

"I thought you said you were just taking me home."

She shrugged, laughing.

"Why are you so uptight? Why not enjoy yourself for once? What's up your ass tonight?"

I stuttered. I seriously couldn't believe what she was saying. Did she not remember why I was riding with her?

"I- I just totaled my car. My dad is going to kill me, plus," I narrowed my eyes Austin's way, letting hers follow mine to see him. He was obviously trying not to look like he was staring back. He kinda just stood in the middle of the driveway with a dazed look on his face. He took a random Smirnoff Ice from the hood of a car and closed his eyes, indulging his attention into the beverage.

"He's here."

She shoved my shoulder playfully.

"Are you really going to let him ruin your night?? God, he's just not worth it. Just meet another guy, there are plenty others here."

As soon as she said that, my heart started racing. I stopped her in protest.

"Are you kidding me? I'm not avoiding him because I like him. I don't. Trust me. I'm avoiding him because I totaled his car as well as mine, and he can sue me for the money. My family is already balancing on one leg. Watch us try to pay twice the damage. We'd be living in a box..."

She barely listened to what I had to say, spinning on one heel and letting one of her friends drag her into the house. I took a breath before getting my bag and walking in the home.

This definitely suited the typical 'my parents are gone on vacation so I'm going to party my ass off' scene. Whoever this kid was, was dead. Their family kept the house well cleaned and decorated. A nice blue sectional was placed in the living room, having many blue decor and pictures to compliment it. My feet met a fluffy welcome mat on the inside (I left my heels in the car). It read 'love like there's no tomorrow.' in navy blue cursive. Must've gotten the discount card at Kirklands. Now busted picture frames and beercans of many brands scattered the floor. People kicked them away as they went by.

Kids were flooding the place like schools of fish. Only this sea wasn't big enough to enjoy. I shoved my way through the crowd assertively, trying desperately to tred up the shiny wooden staircase, which was also crowded by kids. I watched someone knock a beer bottle off of the side of a stair step as I made my way up. You could hear it crash to the floor.

"Excuse me," I tried to push through a couple that was making out in the middle of the hallway. They ignored me and continued, letting their session get hotter.

"Okay fine." I broke them apart with my arms and tried the first door I saw. Luckily, it was the right one. Unlike the theme in the living room, the bathroom was coated with white tile, completed with ceramic white soap holders, a white bath curtain, and a marble countertop.

Damn, they have quite a bit of money.

I slumped my bag onto their clean countertop, reaching nearly half my arm down it to reach my backup clothes. And thank god I brought some.

I pulled out my saggy beat up pair of ripped jeans, my green doc martens, and my old Mount Rushmore tee. I was beyond eager to get out of my dress by now. I began to plan my route home as I dressed, because I knew Laurie wasn't going to be sober enough to drive me.

I live about 9 miles down from this neighborhood, so if I head back now, I could get there in time before my dad notices I'm past curfew. I sneak into my room through the window- and-

With a squeak of the doorknob and a 2 second rush of air from the hallway, I rubbed my arms free of goosebumps and set off, interrupting my own thoughts and deciding to take it step by step.

I barely even noticed someone was walking the same way I was before I fell to the floor with a hard thud. Pain began to surge through my body, beginning with my head.

"Ohh," I groaned.

My eyes strained and adjusted to a blonde boy with sharp features and thick-rimmed glasses. He hopped to his feet, running his fingers through his hair and holding his hand out for me. I used it to get up and met up to his height- well- almost. He was way taller than I was.

"I'm so sorry!" His eyes widened.

But boy had I heard that sentence too much today.

"It's okay." I awkwardly narrowed my eyes to the floor, studying his dress shoes.

He stuck out his hand again, and I shook it.

"I'm Garrett." He smiled, showing off a perfect set of teeth.

I smiled back.

"I'm Rhiannon."

"Cool name." Someone slurred behind him. His shoulder moved to reveal another guy, shorter, with dark hair and tan skin. You could tell he was drunk. He was even leaning on Garrett for support to stand up.

"Yeah, well I have to go. Nice meeting you Garrett! And um..."

Garrett pointed to the other guy and smiled.

"Dean."

"Dean!" I yelled back, running down the staircase.

I noticed Austin in the living room, grabbing as many beer cans as he could to stack a tower on the coffee table. He looked at me and smiled, waving.

What the hell??

I kept my expression straight, slightly waving back before slipping out the door.