7

-
Austin was drunk-scratch that-hammered. He was a cocky drunk, the smell of yeast lurking on his tongue while he boasted to random girls about his fake achievements. So far, nobody bought it.

He approached his next target, a tall, thin ginger. She had kept to her group of friends the whole party, and he noticed it. He thought he could 'make her night' by flirting with her. Evidently he didn't take the advice from Rhiannon.

"Hello ladies." He stumbled over to her and her group of friends, purposely eyeing her. He tried to wink, but he uncoordinatedly blinked both eyes instead. She cringed, already uncomfortable.

"What do you want."

She was the quietest person he had ever met. He had confidence in himself to bring her out of her shell. So he pulled out one of his golden pick up lines.

"I just wanted to know if it hurt when you fell from heaven?"

She looked somewhere else, communicating with her friends without even having to talk.

Why wasn't she all over him? That line was supposed to work every time.

"I think you'd better go..." One of her friends spoke up.

"Why should I?" He mumbled, burping loudly and nearly gagging from the amount of beer he had drank. Let's just say he had lost count after 5.

A buff, strong guy cleared the whole party, stopping the whole scene. The voices slowly got quieter, the music stopped. The guy tapped on Austin's shoulder, and Austin turned around to his chest, having to look up to look him in the eyes.

He swallowed the lump in his throat and tried to remain calm. He wiped the sweat free from his palms.

"Uh, look I wasn't looking for any trouble." His voice trembled, quiet no matter how loud he tried to speak.

"That's my girlfriend, asshole." The guy's voice boomed upon Austin. Austin trembled down, nearly praying to God he hadn't fully set this guy off. The man shoved Austin's shoulder pretty lightly, but it was hard enough to make him stumble back into a crowd of people. They pushed him back up, him wobbling to try to catch his non-existent balance.

"Hey, hey!" Garrett yelled, letting all the attention fall on him. He made his way downstairs. Others cleared a path for him as he walked up to the guy, patting his back.

"It's ok Scott. He's a friend, doesn't mean any harm,"

They both scanned Austin.

"Can't do much harm."

They both snorted and chuckled, like they were laughing at an inside joke nobody else was in on. Scott put his arm around the ginger, sticking his other hand out to pat Garrett's head. Garrett grinned, tugging Austin by the arm on the way up the stairs, and into his room. His room was completely off limits to all partygoers.

Someone called to him through the door when he was trying to shut it. He plastered on his fake smile and said something to them in a high voice. Kinda the voice you talk in when you see relatives you barely know at a family event. He shut the door quietly and turned to Austin, a panicked look painting upon his face.

"What the hell? Are you fucking insane?? Don't you have any common sense as to at least know if she's single before you begin to flirt??"

Austin was barely paying attention to what he was saying, because he spoke too fast for Austin's slow, happy, drunk brain to process. He did notice that Garrett talked with his hands in panic, which he was currently doing. Austin's eyes moved with the large gestures of his hands, almost mesmerized like some sort of baby.

Garrett noticed that Austin was not sober enough, nor was he paying attention. Garrett snapped at his face, removing him out of his own little world.

"Austin."

"Hm?"

"You owe me."

"Mmm-hmmmm..."

Austin had found an old Derek Jeeter bobblehead. His finger flicked the head back and forth. He laughed at it like it was the funniest thing he's ever seen.

Garrett frustratedly snatched the bobblehead out of Austin's hands, throwing it on the nightstand. Austin pouted.

"I need you to do me a favor. A pretty big one, m'kay?"

Austin let out an airy burp, crossing his arms behind his head and lying back on the bed.

"Hit me." He sounded confident, giving Garrett more ease about asking for the favor.

"Alright. So there's this girl who was here not too long ago...Rhiannon?"

Austin was almost nearly snapped out of his drunken trance, just by hearing her name. He couldn't even describe the feelings he got when he heard it.

"Wait yeah, yeah, what about her?" His voice shot up to its normal tone.

He was turning serious now.

"Well, I just met her, I think I like her a bit. But here's the thing. I can't draw, you can. I can't write..."

"Yeaahhh?"

"You, you can."

Garrett was hoping Austin would pick up on what he was saying, but there was no hope. He sighed.

"I'm saying I want you to write about her and draw for her, and say it's from me."

"Woah, hell no. What happened down there wasn't even a big deal. I can't repay you too much, Mr. Knight-In Shining-Armor." He stood up, stretching his arms before pacing the room.

"Plus, why would you try to do something mysterious if you were just going to say it's from you? Wouldn't you want to lure her in?"

Garrett's face lit up.

"Good idea!! We need like a code name. Like um, uh,"

He paused to think.

"Sketch?? Yeah, sketch."

"Did I agree to this??"

"Yes indeed you did."

Austin's brain was messing with him. Did he? Shit.

"Oh um ok."

"Alright, thanks Sketch."

With that, Garrett shoved Austin out the door.

Austin thought nothing of it as he made his way home. He was halfway down the street when it hit him.

What the hell did he get himself into???