10

-

I'm walking to school. Treading rain, the fucking amount it rains here. I have no car.

I refused to take the bus, so I'm just walking now. I'm already in a horrible mood because of what happened last night. Not to mention the hangover. Garrett's 'fair' deal with me. What the hell was I supposed to write about Rhiannon?

"I see you near. I see you far. Hey, you fucking wrecked my car!"

I pulled out my noisy phone. Everything annoys me. Every noise, everybody. Everything.

"Need a ride buddy??"

Garrett's SUV rounded the corner into my view. At least it wasn't someone else, let's just hope he doesn't make me pay him?

I ran to his front door and opened it, jumping in. I felt something under my lap, turning to meet faces with Rhiannon.

"Oh god!" I fell off of her, stumbling out onto the floorboard. Garrett and her broke into a laughing fit, quite embarrassing me. I was always one to get myself into embarrassing situations. Payback for not thinking. Garrett's used to it by now, but our friendship is a little too casual. Like I said, not close to anybody, since dad left...

"I'm sorry for that archaic greeting. Austin's always one to forget his posture."

Garrett beamed with pride. His enjoyment of degrading me to lift himself up is a good reason why I'm not all for him. It's like in front of a girl he has to seem ten times the man I am to make him seem unreal. Absolutely perfect. But oh, how fake he can be. In front of the rest of his and my so-called groups of friends, he's himself. Brainless. Cocky. He lacks depth, but he can put on a pretty face to a pretty girl whenever he wants to. Maybe I'm just too deep...

"What are you doing here?" I asked Rhiannon. My tone came out sassier than I expected it to be. I want to be crappy now that Garrett thinks he has the right to embarrass me.

I waited in the doorway of the car, looking at her, waiting for her to speak. Garrett chimed in, speaking for her. Joy.

"She's staying at my house because her dad and her are in a... rough patch."

I could tell he looked at her for acceptance to say that much about what was going on.

"Oh, I see. So you know everything about her now? Enough to speak for her instead of her speaking for herself?"

Rhiannon rolled her eyes at me.

"Can't you chill out and get in the car? We're going to be late because of you." Garrett gave me the look, motioning with his eyes to the backseat.

She nodded in agreement, crossing her arms. Of course Garrett has to make me feel like I am 3 years old.

I stomped to the back and slammed myself in. My legs crossed while my body laid to the side. I took up the whole backseat.

"Luckily my parents didn't notice." Garrett whispered to her. He took his eyes off the wheel briefly to look at her.

Am I just not here to them?

My face kept straight, that burning feeling back in my chest again. I burned holes in the back of Rhiannon's head with my eyes.

I studied her, what she wore today. A grey shirt that had Mount Rushmore on it, with the caption 'stay solid' above it. Jeans. Green boots. Glasses.

I didn't realize she wore glasses until last night, but I barely remembered until now.

"Thanks again for letting me stay at your house Garrett. It's really cool of you."

"No problem."

He held back a smile. I knew him too well. He's so shallow I can almost read every part of his thought process when I look at him. Rhiannon on the other hand, I couldn't. That's why I can't figure out about what to write about her for Garrett.

They got caught up in a conversation about rain or something. I'd listen in about every minute.

"Yeah, why does it rain all the time here??" Garrett laughed.

"Beats me. What's your first hour?"

I chuckled to myself.

Fake.

The car passed the intersection we were supposed to get onto to get to school. I guess Garrett was too busy flirting to realize how to drive.

"Missed the intersection genius." I yelled out sarcastically.

Garrett ignored me, turning around and heading into it.

In 5 more minutes of them flirting and me silently trying to seem pissed, we were there.

Garrett leaped out of the car to open her door for her. I got out after they both did, making sure they looked when I slammed his door.

"Don't dent the car, dude." He laughed out to me.

What, the soccer mom van??

We made our way to the massive building, walking side by side. Dean along with his group of people called out to us.

"Garrett!! Come here."

Garrett didn't hesitate to leave without warning. Rhiannon and I watched them talking, Garrett's head bucking towards Rhiannon's direction. Dean looked her way. I could see him mouth 'nice'. Garrett pushed his shoulder.

"So... how have you been." I said quietly, trying to make small talk.

She shot me daggers.

"Fine."

I watched our feet move in sync. Her green boots missed a step onto the level of concrete, causing her whole body to topple over. Her bag opened. A ton of papers flew out of it like it was an endless black hole.

I ran to catch them, noticing that each of them were covered in sketches. I stopped to look at them while she got up. She snatched them from my hands.

"You ok?"

She nodded, looking mad. She stuffed her papers back into her bag. Walking past me, hair flipping, strutting. Like at the dance.

"You draw?" I called out.

She paused, turning my way.

"Yeah, I do."

I felt the corners of my mouth turn up into a small smile.

"I do too. I like your style."

She smiled back a bit.

"Thanks, Austin."

She ran off, leaving me. I kicked a rock off the concrete, shoving my hands into my pockets.

One of her drawings was still on the ground. I picked it up, folded it, and stuffed it in my backpack.

Somehow it made that heated feeling in my chest go away.