14

-

I woke up a little earlier than I wanted to- thanks to Garrett. I wrote everything, drew everything, yet this kid still couldn't get himself up to at least make sure the letter gets to her.

I stumbled down the stair steps, my bare feet padding down on the wooden glossy floors.

My moms voice scared me.

"You're up early. What's going on?"

My fingers snaked around the back part of my leg, itching it through my grey sweatpants.

I didn't really want to tell her about any of what I was doing, so I took the quick alternative and just shrugged.

"Couldn't sleep."

My voice had to push through my groggy throat to reach the air. The obvious truth was, I was beyond tired.  My warm bed was almost yelling at me from upstairs, begging me to ease back under the duvet covers and rest my 500 pound eyelids.

My mom just nodded slowly. Her keys sounded like bells while she crumbled them up between her fingers, snatching her purse and nearly running out the house as soon as she saw the time.

"Have a great day."

"You too." I choked out. My knuckles found their way to my eyes while I scratched the crap out of them. I hoped it'd wake me up.  Of course, it didn't.

It was 4:30, and I ran upstairs to take a hot shower.

I let the scorching water drip down my back, just the way I like it. I usually never try to look good. My appearance never really mattered to me until I met Rhiannon. No. I don't like her. She just looks so clean all the time. It makes me want to feel nicer about myself.

I could've woken up at 5:30 to get there in time to drop off the letter, but then I would've kept my normal scent that I give off. Doritos and body odor. But not today, according to my Axe body wash I'm going to smell like "Glacier Water + Deep sea mint".

How the fuck does somebody smell like glacier water?

I finished washing my hair and body. The shower head squeaked off, water dripping from the nozzle. I stood and waited for all of the water to drip off of my body before grabbing the blue towel I set out for myself to cover my lower half.

My reflection met my eyes, and they instantly flew at my chest. Was I buff?? No abs, kinda scronny.

Wonder if Rhiannon likes buff guys.

I took my moms blow dryer and fluffed up my hair before putting on my blue flannel and some skinny jeans. I was trying to go for a different look today, maybe look at little better, try a little harder. I even brushed my teeth more than once, flashing them in the mirror constantly to make sure they were nearly pearls.

I was out the door by 5:56. My normal route to school was kinda boring, so I rummaged through my glove compartment to pop Weezer's blue album in my radio. I turned up Surfwax America and tapped my finger on the wheel while I thought of Rhiannon.

God, why was I thinking about her?

-

My car was barely holding itself together. It was a big hunk of metal full of dents. My mom and I could only pay to have the necessities fixed- the windows, and the tail lights.

Sure, it looked like shit. But it got me places, right?

I pulled up into the parking lot and found myself a nice spot. The lot was nearly empty. I guess you have a nice parking advantage when you actually bother waking up early.

Not forgetting to slip the letters in my back pocket, I treaded my feet to the school entrance. This time I didn't have to worry about how to walk, since nobody was there to watch. I just slouched like I normally do, doing awkward motions and things with my arms.

I found Rhiannon's locker- number 78. Garrett is a great stalker. That's for sure. But I also have seen her at her locker a few times, so I would've been able to pinpoint where it was anyways.

Sometimes I noticed the little things she kept in there. It was a complete wreck in the metal chamber, filled with crumbled papers and magazine clippings of weird things like Starry Night by Van Gogh to Kings of Leon tour dates. Every time she opened it something would fall out. I've watched a sock fall out of there. Her cheeks flushed a deep shade of scarlet.

I slipped the notes through the slits of the locker. Now what? I had about 30 minutes to blow before anyone even got here. I turned around and walked back to my car, a feeling of dread trailing behind me. I pass all of my classes- basically witnessing all of the rooms I have to spend an hour in drooling of boredom before it happened.

I wonder what classes Rhiannon had.

My tired body slumped into the front seat of my car. A couple of guys snickered at it while they walked by. Not that I care. It was comfortable to me, definitely a purpose serving car. The inside had felt seats, the back one covered with a knitted Beatles blanket. There was a keychain of a dearth vader Lego man hanging from the mirror, and the wheel had a green cover on it.

It was pretty cool to me though. I leaned over and plucked the blanket from the backseat. My fingers gripped the knitted thread and draped it over my shoulders. My eyes fluttered shut for a few moments. I wanted to cry. Why was I up this early??

They opened back up, and Garrett's car was in my review mirror. I needed to get out so I could talk to him about what I was going through for him. Wasting my spare time that I could be using to sleep? He owed me way more than I owed him.

I was kinda disoriented, my hand struggling to grip the handle of the door. I got out and started heading towards him. But to my surprise, he wasn't alone.

Him and Rhiannon both stepped out of his car. They were still laughing at something they said earlier in whatever they were talking about. Neither noticed that I was standing there. A fire ignited inside of me.

I cleared my throat and let their attention be brought on me.

"Hey man." Garrett slumped his bag over his shoulder and walked past me, winking. I pursed my lips and nodded while I followed him.

Rhiannon caught up to us.

"Hey Austin." Her voice faded out of disinterest.

"Hey. How'd you get a ride from him? I could've taken you."

It obviously weirded her out that I said that. She shrugged, something I do too when I don't want to tell the truth.

"I needed a ride."

I nodded and caught up with Garrett. The feeling that she was behind me made me nervous. Did I look okay?

Garrett leaned over to my shoulder.

"So did you do it?"

He kept his voice low.

"Yeah. Why'd she come with you to school?"

He tried to hold back his smile, his tongue licking his lips. He made sure she was far behind us before he let himself smile ear to ear and whisper an answer.

"She asked me if we could hang out more. I think she's into me. What do you think?"

Garrett was an asshole. He didn't need me to do this favor anymore. Why would we have to when he's already into her? More importantly, why was she into someone so shallow?

Unlike Garrett, I have dimension. I could understand her, treat her right-

Stop.

I locked my jaw and knocked shoulders with him. Walking away, that was the only solution.