F O U R

i fix my sweater as i exit my matte white audi a7 and kaitlyn does the same.

"oh! sophia just texted me." kaitlyn says as we walk up the steps to sam's front door.

"what'd she say?"

"she said she's getting an uber." she shrugs as if it's no big deal.

"is she mad?"

"yeah."

as if it was on que, the door swings open and there stands derek. he stands to the side and let's us walk by. i mutter a thank you and he nods in response.

the smell of strong booze and marijuana instantly hits me.

"everyone is near the back, by the way." derek informs us.

me and kaitlyn both walk to the area nearest to the back door. there we see sam, nate, johnson and a few other people that i have never met. hopefully they're just here and not going on the trip. which reminds me, i need to start packing.

+

shortly after sophia started scolding mainly kaitlyn, johnson's phone buzzes and right as he looks at the notification, he nudges kaitlyn and looks at the door, trying to act sly. are they communicating or something?

"hey, let's take this outside!" johnson suggests and sam gives him a knowing look. they all stand up and get to the door before i can.

why is no one letting me get through? what the fuck. are they all really that eager to go to the backyard?

right as the last person exits the back door, there's a light knock on the door.

"can you get that for me?" sam asks.

"this is your-"

"thank you so much you're the best." he says right before i can protest. i furrow my eyebrows and narrow my eyes but he's already away from the door.

what is so special that's in the backyard that they're all in a rush for? i don't understand why sam doesn't have the time to answer the door to his own house.

i sigh as my hand touches the cold doorknob.

i swing the door open and immediately want to shut it and run.

there he is.

jack's pov

there she is.

i thought she wasn't going to be here. johnson and sam both told me she's not going to be here and that she has stuff to do.

but damn, even in an oversized sweater she still looks amazing. she looks gorgeous no matter what.

and those pants.

fuck, those pants that hug her legs tightly, showing off every curve.

my fingers are just itching to touch her. it's been so long.

she notices my staring and clears her throat, trying to divert my attention.

"hi." i say softly and quietly.

"hey." she looks down and fiddles with the hem of her sweater. she licks her lips and purses them while still looking at the wood floor.

she's nervous.

i feel a small grin come across my lips. just looking at her makes me giddy.

she moves aside and gives me space to enter the house. her eyes are still glued to the floor. after i get into the house she closes the door behind me and walks toward the backyard.