Chapter Six: Solo's

My heart was pounding as the three of us ran through the ship, BB-8 following us close behind. My senses were completely blocked by the thought of my brother being on the ship we were about to dock onto, but yet I still managed to hear Rey form a plan with Finn to gas the ship. The Solo in me hated that, not wanting any damage to come to the ship, even if we were under ambush. I didn't have a plan of my own, and though that just reminded me of my Uncle's teachings where he told me failure to plan was planning to fail, but for once I wasn't going to be swayed by the voices of my past.

As we approached the smuggling pits, I lifted the hatches off with the force, trying to ignore the memories of my childhood that hit me, my mind taking me back to when Ben an I were children, when we used to play hide and seek in the Falcon. He always used to say it was a stupid game, but that was probably because I always managed to find him first. I quickly cleared my thoughts, knowing if Ben was close he'd be able to sense my sentimental emotions, instead changing my focus onto the situation at hand, ignoring the look of shock my two new friends fired at me, instead gesturing for them to get down. 

"In the smuggling pits," I told them both firmly, gesturing to one of the holes as I jumped into the one across from them, watching as Rey frowned in protest. "We spread out, that helps our chance of survival if it is the First Order, and don't gas them, I don't want this ship getting damaged,"

"Then what's the plan?" Finn asked, almost demanding in desperation as he helped get BB-8 down in the pit, letting out a grunt as he nearly dropped the heavy droid onto his foot. 

"Don't know yet, we'll see how it goes," I shrugged, flashing them what I hoped was a confident smirk as I took my lightsaber of my belt for the first time in months, raising it up for them to see. "But I've got this, so..."

"You're going to use your lightsaber?" Rey exclaimed, a small grin appearing on her face. 

"It's not just an over-glorified flashlight," I grinned back at her. "I haven't used this thing in a while though, but I have unfinished business with the First Order, so if it is really them..."

"You and Poe Dameron really were friends, huh?" Finn noted, and when I frowned at him he continued, "He was just as reckless as you," 

I was too busy grinning at the fact Finn thought Poe and I were similar to feel the pain of his loss. We were quite reckless, especially when we were together, except I'd never be with him again. All I could think of then was that he'd died at the hands of the First Order, and if they were truly at our doors I would make them pay. Finn and Rey must have noticed the vengeful glint in my eye as they exchanged a nervous look, one that I tried to ignore, offering them a reassuring smile. 

"I'm not going to get us killed, promise," I sighed, trying not to roll my eyes. "Now, hide!" 

At my words the two of them ducked down, pulling the panel over their heads to conceal them from our imminent invaders. My heart still pounding, I brought the panel back over my own pit, subjecting myself to darkness until I ignited my saber. It let out a hiss as it reignited for the first time since I fought my brother at the Academy, and seeing the bright purple beam in real life and not just in my dreams was a strange comfort, reminding me of who I was before the Academy fell. It was strange, and I felt almost like a wannabe Jedi again after so long. 

I didn't savour those feelings for long though, my mind turning to the feelings pulling me in the force. The way I felt in the cockpit, I was still certain that Ben was on the ship, but even if he was my brother, I knew that wherever he was, the force of Snoke was there too. He'd seduced my brother to the dark, and though I'd refused to join him all those years ago, I had no idea what would happen if I saw him again. I wasn't worried about being tempted to the dark since I'd spent so long resisting, but Finn's comment about my recklessness had struck me hard. Was I truly being so reckless just to see my brother again? Even after all those years being tortured by the memories of my brother trying to get me to turn, I was still desperate to see him, still desperate to try and turn him back to the light.