Chapter Seventeen: Here We Are

I felt a lump rise in my throat as I saw Poe hop out his X-Wing. My legs were shaking too much to run, so for a moment, I just stood, trying to get a grip on my emotions, resting one hand on my forehead as I bet my lip, trying not to cry. My best friend was still alive. My best friend was still here, and he looked so happy. That was always the best way to describe Poe: Happy.

He was hugging Finn, who'd somehow managed to get to Poe before I could. Beebee-Ate was spinning in circles around the two of them, acting like a cat again, like he did with me. I couldn't help but grin.

"So, the resistance, huh?" I heard Poe smirk to Finn, hitting his arm gently again, looking proud.

"Not my first choice, but a friend insisted we had to get Beebee-Ate here," I heard Finn mutter, looking round, until he caught my eye. He shot me a small smile, and I felt my stomach flip again as Poe looked at him with a confused expression, following his gaze.

"Friend?" He frowned, looking in the direction Finn was, until he saw me. "Luci!"

I felt a nervous smile cross my face as I froze, not knowing what to do now he was looking at me. Still smiling slightly, I gave him an anxious wave letting out a small laugh before laughing slightly at my own awkwardness. I watched as he pulled himself away from Finn, hitting him on the back as almost a small way of thanks, before he began running to me. My legs, which had finally stopped shaking, began to move on their own accord, running at full speed, my heart pounding as I ran to him, like my life depended on it.

When we were close, I threw myself at him and he caught me. I wrapped my legs around his hips, his hands on my back as I held his neck. Leaning down, I kissed his forehead, laughing as he grinned up at me.

"Thanks for not being dead," I joked, his signature smirk crossing his face.

"You too," he grinned at me. "You're not normally this friendly, Luce,"

"You're not normally this strong, we'd do this a few years ago and you'd have dropped me. You been working out, flyboy?" I grinned at him, the sudden banter between us making me burst into tears.

"Hey, hey, don't cry, Luce," he said gently, laughing quietly as he moved his hand to wipe my cheek. I laughed gently with him as he set me on the ground gently, hugging me tightly. "I missed you,"

"Don't you always," I sighed with a smile, leaning down to bury my face into his shoulder. I was at least half a foot taller than him, meaning I had to bend down to hug him properly. He entwined his fingers with mine, moving his head to rest his forehead on mine, and I sighed out in relief and contentment. I was never happier than when I was with Poe.

"How'd you get back here?" he asked, pulling away from me slightly so he could look at my face properly. As his eyes met with mine, I looked away, feeling a blush rise up in my cheeks.

"Finn, and our friend Rey, we escaped from the First Order on Jakku with Beebee-Ate, didn't we buddy?" I interrupted my story to look down to the droid, who was wizzing around me. "We found my dad and Chewbacca on a freighter, hauling rathtars with Kanjiklub and the Guavian Death Gang on his back, he was just as much trouble as I remember him being,"

Poe laughed, stroking my hair, grinning. I'd missed his face, the way his cheeks dimpled when he smiled, the way he'd scrunch up his nose when he was thinking. I'd missed his hair too, when it flopped over his eyes whenever he took his flight helmet off, the way it curled when it was wet.

"What?" He said eventually, when he realised I was just staring at him. I turned away, blushing.

"I missed you, my life was miserable without you, and when I thought you were dead..." I stopped myself talking before I cried again, which was when Poe looked over me with concern.