Chapter Thirty Three: Scars

As soon as I was close enough Poe grabbed hold of me, sweeping me off my feet as he spun me round in the air. He laughed excitedly, and in relief to see him back safe, I pushed my lips to his, fireworks going off inside me. Except our happiness seemed to be disturbed by BB-8, the little droid rolling straight into Poe's leg as he pulled out of our kiss.

"Didn't fancy electrocuting me this time?" he teased as he set me back down on the floor, and his reference to my lightning made me narrow my eyes at him.

"Didn't fancy following orders?" I hit back, raising my eyebrow at him and I saw him frown in confusion. "You could have been killed!"

"But we took down a dreadnaught, Luce!" He tried to justify, but I just shook my head at him. "You know how much damage they can do, I saw an opportunity to take advantage of our situation up there and took it,"

I shook my head again, unsure of how to articulate the mad rush of worry he'd put me through, but by that point it was too late to say anything else to him and know it was just between the two of us, as that was when Izzy and Erika ran over. The Antilles' both grabbed hold of my arms, grabbing hold of me in an excited embrace, ruffling my hair, and yet again I was too relieved to see my friends alive to recall just how angry their situation had made me. I smirked at them both, sighing as I hugged them back.

"You're all a bunch of reckless nerfherders," I sighed in exasperation, hoping that maybe one of them would sense how I'd felt during their attack considering their Jedi training was just as extensive as mine.

"Get over it, Amidala," Izzy rolled her eyes, stepping away to stand with Poe, both of them wearing the same proud expression. "Mission accomplished, we're evacuated from D'Qar, heading far away from the First Order, and we took down one of the biggest threats they have in their fleet, what's the big deal?"

"The big deal is you all could be dead, and how many others died because of the mission?" I sighed, suddenly wishing that I'd stayed with my Mum on the command deck just so I knew the full extent of the attack. "Doesn't matter though does it? When was the last time any of you actually listened to me?"

Izzy let out another laugh, hitting my arm before she ran off to join some of the pilots. Erika hesitated, offering me an apologetic smile, and I sensed that she'd felt how worried I'd been, as well as the fact that she also didn't agree on the attack. Even back at the Academy Erika and I had always understood each other more than Izzy and I, the latter more set in her sarcastic ways, whilst Erika was more willing to see my point of view on matters. The two were so similar I barely noticed at the time, but Erika was always much more tolerant to my opinions, whereas Izzy was quick to shrug them off. That seemed to be true right now, as Erika's expression told me nothing but the fact that she felt guilty for following Poe and going against direct orders from me and my Mum.

"Hey," I nudged her with my elbow, offering her a reassuring smile. "Go with Iz, we'll talk later, alright?"

"Alright," she nodded, flashing me a grin before she turned and followed her sister.

As soon as the Antilles' were gone, Poe took hold of me once more, wrapping his arm around my shoulder, and kissing my cheek gently. Desite everything he'd just put me through I smiled, and I wanted to hug him properly, except before I got the chance to BB-8 had rammed himself back into Poe's leg. With a small chuckle, the pair of us squatted down, Poe rubbing his spherical body, tickling him as if he was a cat. The relationship between man and droid had always amused me, the pair of them having such a sweet dynamic.

"Hey, well done, pal!" he exclaimed, grinning as the droid beeped back at him, BB-8's response making the two of us frown.

"What are you saying, Beebee?" I frowned, running his statement through my head as I glanced over to Poe.