Chapter Five

I was sitting at a small outdoor café with Kelly, Mitchell, Tim and Walden. The weather was overcast and so I hugged my jacket close. Kelly complained about having to sit outside but inside was far too crowded for my liking.

                “I can’t believe we tore you away from your console,” Kelly taunted Walden. “And outside too. I thought you were a vampire.”

                “I am,” Walden laughed. “I would much rather be playing Death Heap Five right now with my curtains shut but you guys dragged me here.”

                “You have Death Heap Five?!” I squealed. “And you’re here? Why the hell are you here with us losers when you have Death Heap Five?”

                “I didn’t realise you were into gaming,” Walden chuckled.

                “I love it,” I said. “I’d have Death Heap by now if it weren’t for the fact I’m broke. I can’t exactly ask Dad for money either. Not after everything.”

                “Why don’t you get a job?” Kelly asked.

                “It never really crossed my mind.” I Shrugged. “I mean, I just got here. I haven’t got a CV drawn up and I wouldn’t know where to apply.”

                “Gamers is hiring,” Walden said. “It’s the video game store I work at. It’s the only reason I could afford Death Heap, thirty percent employee discount.”

                “Really?” I pressed. “Thirty percent?”

                “Yeah,” Walden laughed. “I bet you’d be hired in no time. Hardly anyone applies. It’s way too cool for most people.”

I loved the sarcasm dripping from his voice. Nothing was much more appealing than an abandoned game store with a thirty percent discount.

                “You really think I could work there? And it would be just me and the games.”

                “Well not quite,” Walden chuckled. “We work shifts. Some day’s you’d work with me, others you’d work with Max.”

The job quickly lost some of its appeal. I looked to Kelly whose face was crinkling.

                “As in ass hole Max?”

                “Oh you met him then,” Walden chuckled.

                “What’s his problem anyway?”

                “I say he just likes the attention,” Walden snorted. “People like that he’s rude, I mean they step aside when he comes through. It’s ridiculous.”

                “So he thinks he owns the place then? Why doesn’t someone just stand up to him?”

                “He’s really not a bad guy,” Kelly defended. “Just closed off and aloof that’s all. Hard to access. Kind of like you Avery.”

                “Excuse me?” I spluttered on my milk shake. “I am not hard to access. I’m an open book.”

                “Why did you move to Bantfell?” Tim asked as if to prove a point.

                “My Dad got a job here that’s all,” I mumbled.

                “That all?” Kelly pressed.