XXVII: A Crown on The Ground

"This takes me back," I said, "My Dad tried to teach me to fishe once. Out on the docks by Town. I remember drinking the water-"

"Eurgh!" Noah grimaced, "Why?"

"I was six, very curious and very thirsty," I shot him a glare but smiled still, "It was enough to make me not want to go fishing ever again."

"You don't mind this though?" Noah asked, the calming sounds of the water swirling around the oar, soothed me slightly, "No, not really," I said, "Though that might have something to do with being with you."

"Smooth," He laughed and dipped the tips of his fingers in the water before flicking it at me, "Take that, Salt Boy!"

As the water splashed against my face, I awoke with a start. Sweat beading down my face and my heart racing as my mind recollected the dream I just had. Noah, me and the boat. It felt so real. Yet so... distant.

These dreams had come so frequently it caused me to wonder if I was insane or just plain obsessed. Noah hadn't return and it had been three days since the ball. I had thought he would be back but with no news of him, Kathy at her Aunt's cabin in Alaska with family for Christmas Eve to Boxing Day, I was alone. And that's when the dreams sought to keep me company as if I needed reminding of what I lost.

The days that went by on my own were the loneliest. I'd sit in my room, thinking. Just thinking about things. If Noah was here, what would he do? If Avery was here, what would she say? If I was gone, what would happen? I watched the flakes of snow fall from the cloudy sky as Christmas Day drew in and I finally ventured from my room.

Like a hamster in hibernation, I headed into the hallway and down the stairs as I heard the tiresome tune of 'Last Christmas' by Wham. Mom's singing flooding the living room as Marissa sat on the carpet, stacking the presents already dressed and made up. Mom too. I glanced to the clock.

It was nearly noon.

I guessed that was a side effect of being an emotional wreck; you lost the track of time. I never did that.. Ever. I crossed my arms and continued down the stairs, looking at the festive sight of them smiling and singing.

"Oh, Honey, Merry Christmas!" Mom glanced up from the freshly baked cookies she had placed out of the side.

Marissa looked over, concern in her face, "You okay?"

I looked at both their faces and slowly blinked as I dropped my arms and fiddled with the bottoms of my sweater, "Uhm... uh, yeah..." I nodded a bit, swallowing in an attempt to make my throat feel less dry and tight.

"Well go upstairs, get cleaned and dressed and we can start on some present opening!" Mom said.

I smiled feebly, before making my way up the stairs again. My head spinning as I prepared to spend the entire day making people think I was okay, singing christmas songs, eating food and talking to my family. After four days of being in my room, feeling sorry for myself, I owed it to them to actually do that. Or try. So I went up to my room, washed and got dressed before heading back downstairs after an hour of preparation and took my seat on the couch. The Christmas Tree shining brightly at us as the presents were handing out.

The angel stared down at me. One we had made together, I was eight, Avery was ten and Marissa was at least twelve. Dad had recommended it after Avery tossed the star from my bedroom window thinking that it would fly into the sky, instead it flew directly into the neighbour's bonfire. We had spent hours fixing the angel together; Angelica was her name. After the doll from Rugrats mostly but partly because it seemed like the most obvious thing to call her.