XXX: Lonely Hearts Club

Fireworks echoed in my head, the flashes shining in their numerous colours of green, red and blue. People chanted in a rhythmic countdown from ten to one and loud music played and people waved flags and banners.

I woke. Remember yesterday like a flash. Remembering Avery's return and us watching the countdown and Kathy apologising multiple times for letting it slip. No doubt, we had entered the New Year in the worst way possible. But hey, at least it wasn't as bad as Eric Stock showing up, that could've happened.

I looked at the end of my bed where Kathy snored softly, her blond hair everywhere, covering her porcelain face as she slept. I refused to wake her for my own selfish reasons of 'need someone to talk to'. Plus she had drunk a bit the night before so she must've been as hungover as can be. I looked up to my ceiling in thought, What was Noah doing right now? What was he thinking? Did he miss me? Was laid there thinking about me too?

It was no good thinking about him, I knew that. But when you're in love with someone, they tend to be there regardless of what they've done.

"Psst!"

My heart jolted and I looked over at my bedroom door that was one slightly, Avery's head peering from behind it, "Avery?"

"Sh!" She frowned and placed her index finger over her lips, "Come with me!"

"What? Why?" I sat up, pulling back my bed covers, "What do you want-"

"God, could you be any louder?" Avery rolled her eyes, "Just get dressed and get your ass downstairs!" She quickly shut the door followed by the sound of footsteps creeping down the stairs. I sat there, staring at the door for a long while, thinking to myself, What did she want now? My mind spun with crazy thoughts of what Avery needed me for. To fix her mess? To cover for her? Or even get involved in the craz trouble her and R.J was in.

Getting up, I headed toward my closet and took out my clothes. Pulling them on, I ruffled my hair to look remotely tidy and rubbed my eyes with a yawn. I took it that I had no time to get ready properly to grabbed a peppermint gum from my bedside table and popped it into my mouth.

I glanced back at Kathy who still slept quietly and grew a bit jealous. That could be me, instead Avery needed me and I was always the one to follow. I sighed and opened my bedroom door before heading downstairs.

There, I saw Avery pulling on her shoes rashly looking rather rushed and breathless. Worried, I stepped toward her, "Avery-"

"Oh! Good, you're ready!" She looked up quickly as she tied her laces, "We gotta go and do something."

"What?" I frowned, "It's like seven in the morning, where are you going? You aren't running away again are you?" My gut turned and I gave her a tired look. But She stood up and shook her head, licking her lips a bit before answering, "No! No! Just come!" She said.

I wanted to refuse, stand right there and demand that she tell me what exactly was going on here but hearing a honk of a horn outside, my head snapped to the side, "What was that?"

"R.J," She replied, heading toward the door, "Listen don't freak, okay? Just come with me and I'll explain what's happening when we get there!" She opened the door to reveal a white BMW in our drive with music softly buzzing from the inside, vibrating the floor. There was R.J, sat in the front, shades on and smiling. Looking at Avery, I shook my head, "Seriously, Avery. What the fuck?"

She just frowned and walked toward the car, "Cheer up, it's a New Year, Baby Brother!"

_____________________________________

We buzzed along the highway, past school, past the church The Armstrongs went too and all the way out of town. I sat in the back, dreaming of my bed as R.J sped us to the place Avery was so keen to go to. Avery just sat beside him and hummed along to the song that blared so loud that I had to kinda cover my ears.