XXXV: Lights Out

(ABOVE YOU WILL FIND THE NEW TRAILER FOR A SHADE OF COOL)

"If that Bible Basher touches any of my shit, I swear!" Avery shouted.

Rolling my eyes, I jumped off my bed and headed out my room toward Avery's where her and Mom stood there, Avery's foot on the pull out bed and Mom in the middle of pushing her off. I sighed and gave Avery a look, "Can you just chill out, okay? It won't be for long."

"Chill out? This is my shit!" Avery snapped. They had been arguing all morning since Mom told her that Kathy and Noah were staying. Avery hated her personal space being invaded and being told she was to room with Kathy was her worst nightmare. I kinda hated that she acted like this considering I had to share a room with a guy I had history with and was currently attempting to avoid.

"The weekend will be over before you know it, besides, they have to stay stop being selfish or you can stay with me! And trust me, I'll make sure you don't sleep a wink the entire time," Mom told her, "Remember the snoring situation?"

"Don't remind me," Avery narrowed her eyes. She bit the inside of her cheek and stubbornly crossed her arms for a moment. Then, like a child, she stamped her foot and groan loudly, "Fine!"

"Good! Jacob, have you got your room fixed?" Mom asked.

"Mom... I don't think I'm comfortable with sharing my bed with a guy that... you know, it's a bit uncomfortable right now," I mentioned. But Mom shot me a stern look which told me that i wasn't getting out of this one. I suddenly related strongly to Avery as I groaned and rested against the door frame quickly, feeling deflated. How the hell was I supposed to find myself when the guy I was finding myself over was going to be sharing a bed with me?

"What is going on anyway?" Avery's asked as she helped Mom fit the bed.

"I don't know, but Jacqueline sounded desperate and... well, I'm not going to say no to someone who needs help," Mom explained.

"That's all fair and stuff but, seriously, the room situation isn't exactly-"

"Avery, regardless of sexuality I am not letting you stay in a room with any boy or your brother with any girl," Mom shot Avery a look and then glanced over at me, "It's happening no matter what you two say. My house, my rules."

Avery mimicked her behind her back making me smile slightly. It was nice having someone else around, especially Avery, and not having to deal with this stuff on my own. And with Avery being a permanent family member; everything felt a lot more like... the old times. Everything felt a lot more heavy with her around and telling Marissa that Avery was still home when she rung felt better as it usually went with me telling her Avery had ran away again and Marissa going into a twenty minute rant about her

But for once, Avery knew her place was here no matter what.

"And maybe you could use this time to finally make up!" Mom suggested. Mom still wasn't a hundred per cent updated as to what exactly happened, I knew what to say to avoid another breakdown. The story I told her was a simple one; Noah fell out with me and went away for a bit and I stayed at Kathy's to keep her company. She didn't know about the road trip or New York. But I guessed she knew there was more to the story than what I told her what with the fact I wasn't sleep, eating or going out for ages after Noah's leaving.

And she always gave me that look. You know that look Mom's give you when they know what you've told them is complete bullshit yet they just nod and go along with it? I was certain she knew something was up.

"It's not that easy," I told her as I walked over, helping them make the bed.

"Neither is getting over a mental illness or an alcohol addiction but, hey, look at me. Making a bed with my two little cherries like a happy family!" She beamed. Avery just rolled her eyes but I offered a reluctant, yet wide, smile, "I'm sure you'll get over it! You're a Green, we are pretty strong people-"