Chapter 1: the Train

I woke up to the sound of mum screaming for Peter. It was still night, but everyone was awake. Susan ran into the room and grabbed some things next to her bed.

"Mommy!" Lucy screams from the bed next to mine.

"Lucy, Emily, come on!" Susan says, and helped us up from our beds. I grabbed Lucy's hand and we ran, out of the house and towards the shelter. Both Lucy and I still in our nightgowns. I cried. Airplanes flied over us, dropping bombs.

"Wait! Dad!" Edmund screamed and turned around.

"ED!" Peter screamed.

"Edmund, NO!" mum cried out.

"I'll get him!" Peter ran after Edmund. Mum nearly pushed us down the stairs, while screaming at Peter to come back.

Susan hugged us both tightly and wrapped a blanket around us.

"Are you alright?" Lucy nodded. I didn't do anything. I just hugged Susan and cried.

"Emily, are you hurt?" she said. I shook my head.

Edmund fell down the stairs and landed on a bed. He held a picture. Of dad. I miss him. A lot.

Peter screamed at Edmund, but I didn't listen. I thought that Edmund was stupid, he risked all our lives! But I still love him. I love whole my family so much.

***

The train station was packed with people. The sound was so loud that I nearly didn't hear what mum said.

"You need to keep this on, darling. All right?" mum said. She was tying a tag in my jacket. I nodded and she did the same to Lucy.

"You warm enough?" she asked us both. Lucy nodded. "Good girl." She hugged us both. Lucy looked like she was on her way starting crying.

"If dad were here, he wouldn't make us go," Edmund said. Peter looked at me, and then at Edmund.

"If dad were here, it'd mean that war was over and we wouldn't have to go," Peter answered.

Susan took my hand and looked down at me. She gave me a notebook and a pen, which I put in my pocket.

"Promise me you'll look after the others," mum said as she hugged Peter, who also had the papers.

"I will, mum," he answered. He sounded like he was on his way starting crying. We heard someone shout "All aboard!" and mum turned to Susan.

As they hugged each other, I heard Susan sob, but she didn't cry. Mum backed a bit and hugged Peter and Susan together. I heard them whisper something I don't think I should hear.

"Please, try to get her to speak again," mum said. I heard Susan and Peter say that they would try. I knew they meant me. Mum backed away from them.

"All right. Off you go," she said. Peter held Lucy's hand and Susan held mine. Edmund, Peter and Susan carried our suitcases. I and Lucy only carried light, small bags.

I looked back at mum. I hear Edmund complain about something, as usual.

"May I have your tickets please." A lady said. But Peter just stared at something. "Tickets please."

"Peter!" Susan said and snatched the tickets out of his hands, giving them to the lady.

"That's right, on you go."

"Yes, thank you," Peter said absently.

I heard Lucy sob as we walked on the train. We hung out of a window waved at mum. I cried. I don't want to leave mum!

When she had disappeared out of sight, we found a compartment. It was only two others in it, a boy and a girl. I gave Peter my bag and sat down. Susan and Lucy sat beside me, and Edmund sat at the window. Peter sat in front of me.

I think I should explain a couple of things. My name is Emily Pevensie. I have two brothers and two sisters. Peter's the oldest one. Susan is the second oldest. Then there's Edmund.

Lucy is my twin sister. She's the oldest. I'm just as tall as she is, we have the same eye colour, yes, we are exactly look alike. No one would be able to tell us apart, if it weren't for the hair. I totally refused to have the same hairstyle as she has. So, instead for having short hair, I have waist long hair. Today it's braided.

There is one more noticeable different. Lucy speaks. I don't.

I can talk, but I just don't want to. I haven't talked since dad got away to fight in the wars.

I think I fell asleep on the train. I was awaken by Susan. She helped me up and gave me my bag. We got out of the train and watched it disappear. We were in the middle of nowhere.

A car came, and we ran down to the road. The car passed.

"The professor knew we were coming," Susan said. Edmund looked at his tag.

"Perhaps we've been incorrectly labelled," he said. But then we heard something. Something was coming. We looked down the road. A horse with a carriage became visible. It stopped in front of us.

"Mrs Macready?" Peter said hesitatingly to the lady on the carriage.

"I'm afraid so," she answered. "Is this it then? Haven't you brought anything else?"

"No, ma'am. It's just us," Peter said. Lucy nodded.

"Small favours," Mrs Macready said and nodded towards the carriage. We climbed up.

It a quiet journey to the house, except for Mrs Macready who talked to the horse.

..................................................................................