Chapter 13: The Keeper

It's now been six years since the coronation. I don't like being Queen that much. It's just too much responsibility. Everyone looks up to you, they expect you to be perfect. But I am not perfect. I've never been perfect and will never be perfect.

That's why everyone thinks I am a big disappointment. Because I'm different. Because I'm not like Lucy and my other siblings. I'm just me.

I don't really have many friends, since my family thinks I'm crazy. I always try to remind them of England, but they've forgotten about it. The only one that believes me is Saphire. But I don't see her very often, her parents doesn't think that she should associate with the Queen of Narnia. But with her I am not Queen of Narnia, with her I'm just Emily Pevensie. She's my only friend and the reason that I'm staying sane.

Sometimes I wonder if England really just was a dream or if it was reality. Saphire always reminds me that it's true, I am not born in Narnia.

Susan, Lucy, Peter and Edmund have started to forget me more and more. I don't know why, maybe it's because I'm not around them very much. I can be gone for days and they don't notice. Well, they do when I've been gone for more than a week.

I'm exploring Narnia when I'm gone. I have as a goal to get to know the people of Narnia, and to learn my way here in Narnia, so I will never ever be lost. It's working so far, I've never got lost yet.

Today is mine and Lucy's 16th birthday. They didn't forget me today. The others even planned a surprise party for me and Lucy. It has been one of the happiest days in my life.

"Are you coming, Em?" Lucy asked. It's soon sunset and we planned to watch it together, just like we did the first year as Kings and Queens. The whole family

"I'll be coming soon, I just need to fix something," I said and went back to my room. I was just going to fetch the birthday present I would give to her.

When I finally made to my room (Cair Paravel is a lot bigger than what you would think it is!) I found something else. An over excited mouse were standing on the dresser and looked itself in the mirror.

"Excuse me," I said and got its attention. I saw at once that it was a talking mouse, since they're bigger than the normal, non-talking ones. And they were also the only ones that walked on two legs.

"Your highness," the mouse said and bowed down. I curtsied back, as the formal laws demanded. That's another thing I don't like with being Queen - you have to follow the formal laws. I sat down on the only chair I had in my room.

"My name is Sierra and I have news for you," the mouse said. She seemed very excited.

"Go on," I said and smiled. I think I've met her family once.

"Aslan is here! Here in Narnia!" she whispered. "He sent me to tell you that he needs you at the stone table!"

"Today?" I asked.

"Yes, like right now," she said. I mentally slapped myself for forgetting and quickly stood up.

"Do I have time to change clothes?" I asked her while walking up to the wardrobe and searched for my clothes.

"Yes," she said. "He said that you had until the moon-rise."

The moon-rise is in two hours. It takes one and a half to the stone table if I'm flying. I quickly changed into my usual, non-formal, clothes. This means a tunic, trousers and boots. I took on a black cloak too, since it would be cold in the night.

"Are you ready?" I asked Sierra, who looked at me, confused. I opened the window and the wind made the curtains blow out of the room. Everyone would know that I'd left. I changed into the form of an eagle, since a hawk (my favourite) couldn't carry a mouse that big. I sat on the windowsill and waited until Sierra had climbed upon my back. Then I flew.