Chapter 2: Lucy, Emily and the Wardrobe

"Gastrovascular."

It was raining outside. We've been here for one day. Yesterday, when we came here, Mrs Macready told us the rules for the house. A lot of rules.

I was drawing in the notebook that Susan gave me. Lucy was staring out of the window. Susan and Peter were playing a stupid game. Edmund laid on the floor, right under my chair.

"Come on Peter, Gastrovascular."

"Is it Latin?" he asked.

"Yes."

"Is it Latin for 'worst game ever invented'?" Edmund asked. I smiled at Lucy. Susan closed the book.

"We could play hide and seek." Lucy said. She was standing at the chair that Peter sat in.

"But we're already having so much fun," he said, looking at Susan.

"Come on, Peter, please!" Lucy said. "Pretty please?"

"One, two, three, four..." Peter started counting.

"What?" Edmund said.

We got up and ran away to hide. I ran after Lucy. She was on her way hiding behind a curtain, but Edmund pushed her out and took her place. He can be so mean sometimes. I followed Lucy. She disappeared into a room, and I looked around.

There! Another curtain. Behind it was a window with a large windowsill. I closed the curtain and jumped up at the windowsill. I looked out of the window. Still raining. I heard Peter stop counting, and a sudden thud from the room that Lucy ran into.

"It's all right! I'm back! I'm all right!" Lucy shouted, and ran down to the place where Edmund was hiding. I followed her.

"Shut up! He's coming!" Edmund said. And he was right.

"You know, I'm not sure you three have quite got the idea of this game," he said.

"Weren't you wondering where I was?" Lucy asked.

"That's the point. That was why he was seeking you," Edmund said, like if he explained something that nobody understood. Susan had joined us too.

"Does this mean I win?" she said.

"I don't think Lucy wants to play anymore," Peter said.

"I've been gone for hours," Lucy said. I looked at her confused. Hours? It haven't even been a minute since she ran into that room.

Then she told us a story about a place she called Narnia. She explained that she hid in the wardrobe and came into Narnia and met a faun. For some strange reason, I believed her. The others didn't.

We are now in the 'Wardrobe-room' , Susan and Edmund examining the wardrobe.

"Lucy, the only wood in here is the back of the wardrobe," Susan said.

"One game at a time, Lu. We don't all have your imagination," Peter said. They walked away. I stayed with Lucy.

"But I wasn't imagining!" she cried out. They turned around.

"That's enough Lucy," Susan said.

"I wouldn't lie about this!" Lucy said. Edmund walked forward.

"Well, I believe you," he said. Did he?

"You do?" Lucy asked.

"Yeah, of course," he said. "Didn't I tell you about the football field in the bathroom cupboards?"

"Now, will you just stop?" Peter said. I hate when Edmund's so mean! Lucy looked like she was about to cry.

"It was just a joke!" he said.