Chapter 5: Santa's here!

“I’m so sorry dear,” Mrs Beaver said to Mr Beaver.

“He was my best mate,” he answered quietly. I sobbed quietly. There was other stone animals there too, a dog, squirrels. Who did this? Then I remembered. The Witch did it.

“What happened here?” Peter asked.

“This is what becomes of those who cross the Witch,” an unknown voice said. I looked around for the voice’s owner.

There! Above the dog was a fox.

“You take on more step, traitor, and I’ll chew you to splinters!” Mr Beaver angrily said. Peter dragged me backwards, away from the fox.

“Relax! I’m one of the good guys,” the fox said. He sounded offended.

“Yeah? Well, you look an awful lot like one of the bad ones,” Mr Beaver replied.

“An unfortunate family resemblance,” the fox said. “But we can argue breeding later. Right now we’ve got to move.”

I looked back at the barrel. It moved a little and I heard someone trying to dig himself out.

“What did you have in mind?” Peter asked. The fox motioned to the tree. I got the idea and started climbing up, as high as I could get. I was quite skilled in climbing trees. I used to do it all the time before the war.

The others followed. I sat between Susan and Peter. Lucy sat beside Peter, and Mr and Mrs Beaver sat on another branch, on the other side of the trunk.

We didn’t have to wait long. The wolves soon came running out of the tree and surrounded the fox, who still was on the ground.

“Greeting, gents,” he said. The wolves circled around him. I was scared for his life.

“Lost something, have we?” he continued.

“Don’t patronize me!” one of the wolves barked. “I know where your allegiance lies.” The fox never took the eyes of that particular wolf, so I thought that he might be the leader.

“We’re looking for some humans,” the wolf-leader continued. The fox laughed a bit.

“Humans? Here in Narnia?” he said. “Well, that’s some valuable information, don’t you think?”

Wrong thing to say. Another wolf bet hold of his back as he left the ground and hung in the wolf's mouth. I gasped, but Susan clapped her hand over my mouth. Peter did the same to Lucy and Mrs Beaver to her husband.

“Your reward is your life,” the leader wolf said. “It’s not much, but still. Where are the fugitives?”

Susan still held her hand over my mouth, but I listened carefully. Was the fox going to betray us?

“North,” the fox sighed. “They ran north.”

“Smell them out,” the leader wolf said and they ran away, leaving the poor fox there on the ground.

I climbed down as fast as I could and rushed over to the fox. He was still alive.

Peter carried him to the fire the others made, and Mrs Beaver tried to bandage his wounds. I sat down on the other side of the fox, trying to help Mrs Beaver to cure him. It ended up that I ate some biscuits instead.

“Okay, back to my question,” Peter said. “What happened there?”

“They were helping Tumnus,” the fox said. “The Witch got there before I did.” It was clear that his wounds hurt.

“Are you alright?” Lucy asked.

“I wish I could say their bark was worse than their bite,” he answered and then gasped. Mrs Beaver had tried to clean one of his wounds. “OW!”