Chapter 3

Jesus's POV

I've never seen him smile like that, not around me at least. The way his eyes lit up when he laughed was amazing... A blush spread across my cheek when I remembered I was the reason he smiled and laughed like that. I could've sworn he hated me. My rambling probably didn't help me much. I chuckled at my dumb self, why can't I talk normal around that man.  I continued walking to see if I could maybe help Carol out with the dinner tonight. I knocked on the door gently in case Judith was asleep. The door opened up to Carols smiling face.

"Hello Jesus. Good to see you. Come in come in." She enthused ushering me into the large house.

"Hey Carol, uh you need any help with the dinner?" I smiled at her. 

"I don't think so. I think Daryl got it all, if you'd like you can help me get Judith ready." She offered  politely. I nodded, placed the cookies on a counter and followed her farther into the house to the baby's room. Carol opened the door slowly and a smile took over her face. I looked in and saw Judith playing happily and giggling without a care in the world. Not even the world ending could take away a baby's joy.

 "Hi there Judith." Carol leaned down to pick up the babbling child. "She really helps everyone forget about the Hell we live in. "

"Yeah, she probably helps a lot." I agreed as Judith reached towards me babbling.

"She likes you." Carol laughed as she handed Judith over to me. I took her carefully and smiled. Her little hands started pulling at my beard playfully while she giggled.

"Yeah I guess she does." A voice said from behind us. We both turned and saw Daryl trying to hide a smile as he looked at the happy bundle in my arms.

"Oh good Daryl you're here. Can you grab her one of her nice outfits while I get the stuff to change her diaper?" Carol smiled at the redneck kindly. Daryl nodded and walked over to her closet while Carol thanked him and went to search of a diaper. I followed Daryl to help pick out the child's outfit for the dinner. My eyes raked over the small array of clothing and fell on a blue dress.  I debated voicing my opinion. Would he even listen to me? I felt a slight pull on my hair and I smiled down at Judith. Her bright blue eyes were the same color as the dress in the closet. I looked back at the closet that Daryl was leafing through for the right outfit. Maybe he would listen....

"You're right, that blue would match her eyes." Daryl mumbled pulling out the dress I was looking at .

"How did you..." I started to ask as her turned to return to Carol.

"You were lookin' at one of them specifically so I just kinda followed your eyes. You're right. I'm thinkin' that one would be great on her for tonight." He explained. I shrugged my shoulders and turned around to see a smiling Carol. Quickly I remembered that Judith needed to get ready. I detangled her hand from my hair and handed her back to Carol.

"Oh yeah here's the baby so you can uh change her diaper." I mumbled as she took the baby happily.

"Thank you boys. Now why don't you two go get cleaned up an look somewhat civilized." She smiled at us. We both nodded and left her to get the child ready. It was quiet as we walked down the hall.

"Ill see you at the dinner or whatever she has planned." Daryl quietly said beside me. I lifted my eyes up to see him staring at the ground. I thought I saw a slight blush across his cheeks but I chose to ignore it.

"Yeah. I'll see you then. I have no idea what I'm gonna do until then though. I don't have any nice clothes to change into exactly."  I mentally face palmed myself. Why did I tell him that!?

"Neither do I. I think there's a clothing store not too far from here if you're up for the challenge." He offered.

"I thought you hated me. Why are you being so nice all of a sudden?"  I asked him curiously.

"I dunno. I guess I've just kinda accepted that maybe you're not that bad. Now are ye up for the challenge or not? 'Cause Carol'll have both our asses if we don't look civilized." He sent a slight smile my way. I laughed at the thought of Carol getting us for not looking nice. Before I knew it we were both laughing as we walked through the streets of Alexandria. "Don't laugh. She's scarier than she looks. One second she's threatenin' you with walkers next thing ya know she's smiling at you with a plate of cookies."

"Yeah I guess we better get ourselves some nice clothes before Carol feeds us to walkers." I chuckled. He grabbed my wrist and pulled me along the street.

"C'mon I know where we can borrow a vehicle." He smiled like a child who just found out his mother was buying him candy. I ran behind him to wherever we were borrowing a car from. It felt great to have a friend again. One I could laugh with as I forgot about my worries. I definitely prefer him like this as opposed to the distant badass he usually was around me. We finally stopped in front of a house that didn't look familiar to me. he let go of my wrist and opened the garage of the house.

"Where are we?" I asked out of breath.

"This is the part of town with unclaimed houses. I needed somewhere to keep my motorcycle." He explained taking out an old looking motorcycle.

"Wait a minute motorcycle?" My cheeks burned up at the idea of holding onto Daryl tightly.

"Yeh. Is that okay?" He asked looking at me as though asking my permission.

"Uhm yeah but wont the sound attract walkers?" I questioned, needing an escape route. He shrugged and got on his bike then looked up at me smiling.

"Yeh but its worth it. c'mon lets go. You wont regret it." He waved me over to get on the bike. I sighed and slid on the bike behind him. If only he knew how much I wouldn't regret this. My arms circled around him and I held on tight. We're gonna die. I'm gonna die holding on to Daryl Dixon. If it weren't for the die part this would be great. He turned on the bike and revved it loudly. "Hold on."

"Don't worry I am." I mumbled as we took off towards the gate where Eugene was working. He stopped the bike at the gate.

"I am sorry. I cannot allow you to proceed without a reason." Eugene stated.

"We need nice clothes for the dinner tonight and are checkin a store up the road for some." Daryl explained. It sounded like he was slightly annoyed.

"You may proceed but hurry back. The walkers are getting antsy outside and we cannot risk them getting inside again." Eugene pulled the gate open for us to head out. Daryl revved the bike again and we were gone. The trees and walkers flew past us in a blur as we bolted down the road. I smiled a little and loosened my grip on Daryl a little bit. This motorcycle ride wasn't as bad as I thought.