Chapter 10

Daryls POV

It was silent while I waited for Jesus to catch me. I smiled a little when I hard footsteps coming my way. Pressing closer to the wall I waited for him to round the corner.

"Daryl?" A voice called out. Wait that's not Jesus.

"What the hell Glenn? Where's Jesus?" I came out of my hiding spot and face to face with Glenn.

"He came this way looking for you about an hour or so ago. He didn't find you?" He tilted his head confused.

"No? I'm going to look for him." I pushed passed Glenn in search of the bearded man. I searched everywhere he could be with no luck. Rick grabbed my arm and paused my search. His blue eyes held worry.

"Hey, Daryl. What's gotten into you?" Rick asked concerned.

"Jesus. He's missing. I can't find him. Anywhere." His face transformed to one of sadness and he pulled me to the house.

"Daryl. We need to..."

"Hey Ricky. Come on. We need to talk." A voice shouted. It was unfamiliar and obviously from over the wall. I looked at Rick who simply sighed and let go of me.

"Stay here." He demanded a walking away from me. Anger flared up in my chest at the command.

"Like hell. Something's going on and I want to help." I argued walking after him. We climbed a guard tower and was greeted by an army of armed, rough looking men. They all stood around in large groups that watched Rick and I like a pack of hungry wolves. My eyes weren't on any of them. They fell on the tied up, unconscious man at the front lines. His long hair peeking out of his dirty beanie.

"Well shit." Rick murmured as a man much larger than the rest made his way to the front with Jesus in tow.

"Good to see Ya Rick. I was getting a little impatient waiting for my new base. So instead of waiting for you I thought I'd make a deal." The man kicked jesus toward. I could hear a slight grunt of pain as he fell forward. My heart leapt in my chest. Was he hurt? Well that ones obvious. He can't be dead can he? What if he's dead? I clenched my fist at the thought of these men hurting Jesus.

"What do you want prick?" I shouted down. The man turned his gaze to me and smirked. This bastard was entertained.

"Calm doggie. I don't believe we've been properly introduced. My names Jason. You see were a rather large group. Never had the time to make a name. Too many more important things to do. Anyway. You bastards killed one of my men. He was guarding one of our food storage bases. This wouldn't piss me off that bad except you took our fucking food too. Now who the fuck does that? Oh right you assholes.
"Anyway, I talked to Ricky here about it and he refused to talk to me about it. Possibly split the food, the town, the supplies. So I took it upon my self to get us some talking time. We've been watching your town for a while now. Watched it all happen. Watched the large invasion of whatdya call em? Z's? Geeks? Oh yeah walkers. We know how you're little group dealt with the crazy man. You know the one eyed one. We know how much blood you all have on your hands. We know everything. So give us what we want or well take what we fucking want." The mans eyes seemed to watch us for a reaction.  Rick stood strong but I was shaking angrily. 

"What the hell do you want?" Rick shouted at Jason.

"You're town. At least half its supplies. I want control. I want your bitchass to realize I'm the asshole in charge and you're just a damn puppet. If you don't you're little friend here," he reached down and pulled jesus up roughly.  I could see the pain on his face and winning through his bright blue green eyes. "Will meet our pets."  A trailer pushed its way through the crowd.  Growls and groans echoed in the quiet air.  I looked around and saw the whole town was watching Rick and I stand up against these people.  They wanted to see what we'd do.  We can't fight can we? We can't argue. All we can do is lay down our weapons and give in.  I turned to Rick and watched it all swim through his eyes. The fear, confusion, conflict, everything. 

"Rick what are we gonna do?" I whispered.

"What can we do? They have Jesus. I know you'll take down a whole army for him but we can't fight." Rick sighed. The hope drained from his eyes as he spoke those words.  We found a battle we can't fight.  We've gone through so much to not even try here. I looked back over at Jesus.  Exhaustion was etched into his features.  He couldn't fight.

"Rick we have to do something. I'm not just gonna turn it all over to them." I fought back and left the guard tower.

"What do you think you're doing?" Rick called after me.

"Getting a damn army to save my town." I explained just loud enough for Rick to hear.

"Let me talk it over with the council.  Well get back to you." Rick yelled. My shoes hit the pavement and I immediately started rallying people together.  I shouted and called for their help. Our group of now excited civilians made our way to the church to discuss our plan of action. Everyone talked excitedly amongst themselves as we waited for the meeting to start. I fiddled with my bow preparing to send it through that Jason guys head. I could feel anger burning through my veins for this new enemy.  We've gone through worse but something about this guy pushed my buttons.

"No weapons in my church." Father Gabriel scolded.

"Fuck off." I swore slinging the cross bow on my back. The small preacher glared at me but eventually sighed and let me be. I wandered the pews listening to the conversations.  The rumors.

"Would we fight?" A woman worried.

"Why the hell would we? I mean what're we fighting for?" A man chimed in.

"Can't they just give this guy what he wants?" One of the older residents murmured impatient.

"Heard he's gonna use us as bait for walkers." A young woman whispered to her friend.

"I heard he was gonna take down the walls and leave us to fend for our selves." The other stated. The rumors continued to build up. Each one more ridiculous than the other. I groaned frustrated by everyone's ignorance and walked out of the crowded room. Stepping outside a cool breeze carried the sounds of our visitors to inside the gate. Their laughs and murmured conversations.

"We're gonna save him. You know that right?" I turned and saw Rick standing in the doorway.  I sighed and looked out at the darkening sky.

"I know but what if it's too late?" I mused leaning against the wall.

"We'll get him Daryl.  Don't worry.  We'll make a plan and save him. It'll all be fine. I just know it." He patted my back gently and walked back into the church. The silence in the air was only disturbed by the birds and the distant noises of the unwelcome visitors outside the wall.  Just hold on Jesus. It'll all be fine. I'm coming for you...