Chapter Twenty Three

Melanie stared down at her book as she sat in the library but she hadn't retained any of the information on the page. She continued to read the lines over and over but nothing stuck. Since the match against Hufflepuff, things had become too complicated for Melanie and to escape, she found herself in hiding away in the library most of day to avoid talking to anyone.

Of course, it didn't take Carter long to track down his sister as he sat down across from her in the library.

"I haven't seen you much about the school." he told her.

"That's because I've been here, Carter Bean."

"I know..but why are you hiding yourself away from people?"

"It's not from the people Carter, it's from the drama. I don't need that stuff in my life. I just want to do well in my classes and enjoy the food, that's why I come here every year."

Carter smiled.

"I heard what happened between you and Oliver.' Carter said. 

"Carter, I'm not going to talk about that stuff right now."

"Then listen, will you?" Carter huffed. "I know you're mad at him, and trust me I think he's pretty stupid too...but I...I think he likes you Mel."

"I think he likes messing with me." Melanie told him.

"But you like messing with him too. How is it any different?" Carter questioned her.

Melanie closed over her book and leaned across the table looking at her little brother. "Because Carter Farter, I have made my feelings clear to the git, and that's why I tease him. I don't know for certain if he likes me back. He hasn't showed me much positive reactions in the past and then to come out of the blue and kiss me...it doesn't come across as right. So yes it's different."

"But like you said before, he can be pretty stupid, so maybe he just doesn't know how to go about it the right way?'

"Well, it doesn't matter anymore, I'm not dealing with this anymore. I don't want a relationship with anyone. Friendships are okay, but anything more? No thank you."

"Mel.."

"Don't argue with me, Car, you won't win."

"Yeah well..." he stuck his tongue out at her and opened up his bag. "Since you don't want to waste your time with relationships, you can waste your time helping me with my homework."

"It's not helping when I practically do it for you, you know?"

"What?"

"I give you all the answers."

"Yes, but I write them down!"

"Whatever, what am I working on for you?"

Oliver entered the library with Todd to immediately see Melanie and Carter working at one of the front tables and went to walk right back out.

"What are you doing?!" Todd whispered to him grabbing him by the back of his robes.

"What does it look like I'm doing, I'm leaving!" Oliver said trying to get Todd to let go.

"What? Why?"

"Because Melanie is in here!"

"So, this is the perfect opportunity for you to talk to her. She's alone right now."

"Are you blind? Carter is sitting right next to her."

"Oliver, I really don't think you realize how many times a day I have to refrain myself from smacking you. I meant that her friends aren't around. Remember, Carter's still basically on our side. Don't worry about him, it's the Ravenclaws you need to worry about. They're not here, so go over there and talk to her."

"What do I say?"

"Words!"

"But she told me to leave her alone!"

"Oliver if you don't walk away from me and over to the table right now-"

"Okay!'

Melanie glanced up as she felt someone approaching the table as soon as she saw Oliver, she sighed and looked to Carter with a hard glare.

"I swear I had nothing to do with this." Carter told her. "Please don't be mad at me, I still really need help with this homework or Snape is going to hang me by my thumbs in the dungeon."

Melanie and Oliver stared at the boy.

'Who in the world told you that?" Melanie asked him.

"One of the older students, they said those were some of the punishments."

"Yeah back in the day...like a long time ago Carter." Melanie laughed. "He'd probably make you do the homework in front of him, not hang you by your thumbs."

"Oh...well...I really don't want to spend anymore time with him than I have to, so please keep helping me."

"Just a second.." Melanie said before looking to Oliver. "Can I help you?"

"I um...can I join you guys?" Oliver asked.

Melanie came close to telling the boy a flat out no when Carter kicked her under the table.

"Fine..." she muttered kicking Carter back. "You can join us."

"Thanks." he sat down beside her.

Melanie said nothing else to him as she continued to help Carter. As soon as she helped him with the final part, the first year boy packed up his things and claimed he suddenly had to leave.

"That little jerk." 

She could feel Oliver's eyes fall on her. She looked up from her book.

"What?"

"Nothing." he said looking away from her. Melanie turned to face him. 

"Why are you over here? Your friend Todd is sitting over there so why did you come sit over this way?"

"Because I...wanted to sit next to you."

"Why?"

"Why are you asking me so many questions?"

"Because you give me reasons to be suspicious of you!" she countered.

"I'm only sitting next to you!"

"Yes, after I told you to leave me alone."

"You didn't tell me why I should leave me alone, so really I should be the one asking questions around here not you!"

"That's rubbish!" Melanie spat.

"You..you're rubbish!" Oliver replied.

"Excuse me?"

Todd shook his head from where he sat at a nearby table.

"How does Wood tell a girl he likes her? He calls her rubbish."

He dropped his head onto the table.

"Mother of Merlin, please help me. I can't keep doing this."