Chapter Twenty Eight

Daphne was glad to have some time off to spend with her children during the Christmas break. She was fully prepared to enjoy listening to their school tales, especially with Carter experiencing Hogwarts for the first time. She arrived to Platform 9 3/4 to greet them as soon as they arrived off the train.

Melanie hopped off first and helped her younger brother down, who refused help until he nearly stumbled off the step.

Upon seeing their mother, the two Anderson children raced over and tackled their mother into a hug.

"Oooh there they are!" Daphne laughed at their tight hugs that encased her body. "I missed you two as well! Come on, let's get your things and go home. Wait, where's Andy?"

"She's coming." Melanie looked to the train once more.

Andy stepped off the train ready to join the Anderson family for Christmas rather than her own grumpy family as her grandmother was going to be there and she wasn't in the mood to be called "Andrew" for the entire break.

"Hello Andy, dear.' Daphne greeted her pulling her into a hug.

"Hi Ms. Anderson." Andy said hugging her in return.

"Ready to have a nice Christmas?"

"Of course!"

Melanie was glad to be home and away from Hogwarts and all the drama that came with the school. She was resting in the living room eating a nice home cooked meal watching Andy and Carter argue move during their game of wizard chess when her mother plopped down beside her.

"You've been awfully quiet, that's not the norm for you Mel." Daphne said propping her feet up.

"I'm just content with being home, Mumsy that's all." Melanie smiled at her.

"How's school been treating you? I know you can't tell me everything in your letters."

"This has been the most confusing year yet and I'm not talking about classes."

"Boy trouble then...or girl...trouble?" Daphne pondered.

"Boy." Melanie said leaning back into the sofa. "I'm just so confused."

"Males are very confusing creatures."

"That's basically what Madam Pomfrey told me."

"Well, Poppy wasn't wrong. They really are complicated, and yet they always claim that girls are the complicated ones."

"Exactly. It's like I make my feelings clear but the boys won't do the same and when they try to it just makes me even more confused. I'm in a glass case of confusion, Mum." Melanie leaned her head against her mother's shoulder.

Daphne sighed before resting her head upon her daughter's. She wasn't sure if she were to blame for her daughter's relationship troubles. On one hand, Melanie was young, and most teenage relationships were confusing and short lived, but on the other hand, Melanie didn't have the prime example of a happy relationship back home. With the relationship between her and Melanie and Carter's father being a toxic one, she wondered if Melanie picked up on the dysfunction of that scenario.

"Who's the boy?" Daphne asked. "Oliver still?"

Melanie nodded.

"Well, are you still teasing the boy?"

"Sorta, but I mean we've spoken on normal terms now, outside of quidditch at least. But he's frustrating me beyond belief. He act like he hates me, which I expected, but out of nowhere he talks to me. I mean, we went to Hogsmeade together the other day."

"And how did that go?"

"It was nice. I enjoyed his company but it wasn't what I expected to be."

"You mean you didn't see fireworks and hear the angels playing harps in the background?"

Melanie laughed. "No, and while I feel like he was trying, it just didn't feel right. It felt so forced. We talked and laughed, but it was like he felt uncomfortable around me, you know."

"Well, sweetheart, no offense but you're a strong girl personality wise you might come across as intimidating to boys."

"What? No way, I hang out with boys just as much as girls. Seeing as Andy and Jenna are the only girl friends I have. But Ace and Brandon never seem intimidated by me."

"Ace and Brandon know you on a different level than Oliver."

"I know, but even when I first met them I didn't feel this uncomfortable."

"It's a whole different scenario, Mel. You and Oliver are attempting to get to know one another after being rivals for so long. Tell me something, what do you like about Oliver besides the fact that he's cute?"

"Well..I like the fact that he's dedicated to the sport that he loves, that he shows a caring side to his teammates...."

"Is that it?"

Melanie sat quietly trying to think of other reasons but her mind drew a blank. Instead of responding she just buried her face into her mother's shoulder.

"Tell me what I'm supposed to do." Melanie said to her.

Daphne laughed.

"What?"

"Tell me what I'm supposed to do, you're my mother tell me to do things."

"I've told you to do things in the past, that doesn't work out so well, Ms. Rebel."

"I'll listen now."

"Dearie, listening to me isn't going to help you because I can't tell you what to do in this situation. There is something else you need to listen to."

"What's that?"

"Your heart." Daphne told her simply.

"That was such a mum answer, I swear!" Melanie laughed.

"It's the right answer, is what it is!"

Melanie sat her plate down on the table before her and stood up.

"Where are you going?" Daphne asked.

"To go eat something sweet!"

"That's not going to solve your problems, you know?"

"Yes I know, but it certainly does help."

Andy looked over at Daphne once Melanie left the room. 

"The sad thing is, everything she described liking about Oliver, perfectly describes Ace."