Chapter Twenty Six

Todd came into the Great Hall the morning before Christmas break, humming a nice tune to himself when he found Oliver sitting at the Gryffindor table alone.

"You look like you're about to take a photo for a depression ad, ' Todd told him as he sat down. "What's wrong?"

"What's wrong? Are you honestly asking me that right now?"

"Yes, that's why I said what's wrong?"

"You want to know what's wrong, I'll tell you whats wrong, Todd. I'm tired of everyone calling me stupid all year. I'm tired of everyone calling me stupid all because I can't get my feelings in order. Because everyone has forgotten that these are my feelings and not theirs. Everyone has been calling me stupid and telling me what I'm supposed to feel!"

"Oliver calm-"

"Does everyone just assume that all people have to go about things the same way and the minute they don't, they're just presumed idiots! It's not fair, they keep telling me to feel this way and do this, but no one has asked me how I felt about the whole situation!"

Todd nodded his head not wanting to anger the beast that was rising inside of Oliver at the moment.

"I'm guess this has to do with Melanie."

"Of course it does, it's all anyone can ever talk about when it comes to talk to me."

"Alright, just relax, Oliver, it's not that big of a deal."

"Easy for you to say, you haven't had anyone call you stupid all year. Oh that's right because you've been one of them to call me stupid!" Oliver pushed himself away from the table and left the Great Hall without another word.

Oliver walked out and sat down at the nearest window seat mumbling to himself, not realizing that the seat was already occupied.

"Uh...someone's upset."

He turned his head to see Melanie sitting with a book in her lap. "What's got your knickers in a twist?"

He looked at her for a couple of moments before looking away. "I don't want to talk about it."

"Okay." Melanie shrugged before returning to her book. "Do you mind though, I had to move my feet because you almost sat on them."

Oliver looked down to see that she placed her legs in his lap and continued reading.

He glanced around to see if any other Ravenclaw was coming but the corridors seemed empty.

"Where are your friends?" he asked waiting for Andy or Ace to show up at any given second.

Melanie lowered her book slowly for a dramatic effect. "They're dead."

His eyes widened until she started laughing. "I'm kidding, I don't know where they are, you know we don't have to go everywhere together. We're not attached at the hip."

"Could have fooled me." Oliver muttered.

"What was that?"

"Nothing."

"So why are you sitting here with me?" she asked him. 

"I don't know. I apparently don't know anything!" he grumbled.

"Whoa easy there, Firewood, what's got you so upset?"

"I'm just so...confused. This entire year I've been confused and no one has been helping me. Everyone has just called me stupid."

Melanie frowned. "I guess I've been one of those people, huh?"

"Yes, but in your case, you have every right to call me stupid, everyone else...not so much. I am sorry...you know I didn't mean to call you rubbish right? I was just...I'm not great at arguing."

"I know that, Oliver. I've seen you argue out on the pitch many times. It's not your strong suit, quidditch is. It's always been quidditch."

"People call it an obsession."

"Well, you're slightly obsessed, Wood, you have to admit that at least. I mean, there's nothing wrong with that. You're addicting to quidditch, I'm addicted to pie.."

Oliver finally let out a laugh, the scowl leaving his face.

"Yes, I've heard about your pie addiction."

"What? From who?"

"That's not important. What is important is...I'm sorry for calling you rubbish and I'm sorry that there has been a lot of drama between us this past semester."

"There's always drama between us though. That's what makes quidditch so much more exciting."

"I know but sadly the drama happening between us hasn't really been quidditch related."

"You're right, I suppose that's my fault too. " She told him.

"How is it your fault?"

"I don't know but it probably is."

"How about we split the blame. 50/50?"

"I swear you're still making this about quidditch!" Melanie laughed.

"I'm not! I'm not!"

The two sat with small smiles on their faces.

"Are you going to Hogsmeade for some last minute Christmas shopping?" he asked.

"Well, seeing as I already did my Christmas shopping a couple of weeks ago, no. But I never turn down a trip to go to Honeydukes."

"Would you like some company?"

"Sure."